The landscape of language learning is undergoing a transformation with the advent of Artificial Intelligence (AI). Learners now have access to tools that provide personalized experiences and instant feedback.
AI-powered platforms can identify individual strengths and weaknesses, adapt content in real-time, and even simulate real-life conversations.
This curated list of resources delves into the innovative world of AI in language education. Whether you’re an educator looking to enhance your teaching or a student seeking to further your learning, these resources and tips will shed light on how you can use AI technology to your advantage.
AI Resources for Language Learning and Teaching
AI chatbots are designed to process and respond to user input, simulating human-like conversation. Their functionality spans from handling basic queries to complex tasks, streamlining operations and enhancing user experience.
Role Play Chat Language Learning
Developed by USC Viterbi School of Engineering, Chatlang is a language learning tool that allows you to role-play different characters in a target language of your choosing. Unlike a traditional chatbot which offers a single window for conversation, this tool offers two side-by-side windows with different purposes. The window on the left is for role-playing: talking with the AI Chatbot in the target language only and without breaking character. The window on the right is for study: ask questions in your native language about vocabulary, grammar, etc.
Text-to-speech generators aid language learning by providing accurate pronunciation and intonation models. They also enable educators to produce listening exercises and cater to auditory learners.
Powerful text-to-speech generator in multiple languages
Sample AI Prompts for Language Learning
Harnessing the power of AI can greatly enhance language acquisition practices. The following are sample AI prompts tailored for language learners, designed to challenge and refine your linguistic skills in engaging ways.
- I’m learning languageX. Can you act as my conversation partner and only respond to me in languageX using simple words and phrases?
- I’m a beginner languageX learner. Can you give me some languageX vocabulary flashcards with the word in languageX, English translation, and a sample sentence?
- I’m learning languageX. Can you provide me with some short, simple languageX texts I can read with English translations to build my vocabulary and comprehension? Please use common words suitable for beginners.
- I’m a beginner Spanish learner. Can you act as my tutor and give me exercises to practice the preterite past tense? Please give me some example sentences in Spanish using common regular -ar, -er, and -ir verbs in the preterite past tense, along with the English translations. Then give me instructions in simple Spanish asking me to convert several present tense verbs you provide into the preterite past tense. I will try to respond with the past tense verbs in Spanish, and please correct me and provide the right answers if I’m wrong.
- I’m an intermediate languageX learner. Can you have a conversation with me in languageX about common daily activities and hobbies? Please use vocabulary and grammar suitable for an intermediate level.
- I’m at an intermediate level in languageX. Can you give me a languageX paragraph I can translate to English? Please make it approximately 5-6 sentences on a common topic using vocabulary and grammar an intermediate learner should know.
- I’m studying languageX at an intermediate level. Can you provide me with a short languageX news article or blog post I can read followed by some comprehension questions in languageX? Please use topics and grammar appropriate for intermediate learners.
- I’m preparing for the advanced DELE exam in Spanish. Can you give me some full-length articles from Spanish newspapers to read and then ask me comprehension questions that require nuanced understanding? Please ask the questions in Spanish.
- I’m at an advanced level in German. Can you act as my conversational partner and debate controversial societal topics with me in German? Feel free to challenge my opinions using persuasive language and advanced vocabulary.
- I’m proficient in French. I wrote a 5 paragraph essay comparing the education systems in France and the United States. Can you provide detailed feedback on my grammar, vocabulary and expressions to improve my essay to be more naturally French?
- I want to perfect my Japanese through immersion. Can you engage me in a 20 minute conversation entirely in Japanese about Japanese culture, customs, history and current events? Use native-level vocabulary and grammar suitable for an advanced speaker. When you ask me questions, ask one at a time, and don’t accept my answers that are less than two-sentence long.