Fall 2024 and Academic Year 24/25 Applications will open Friday December 15, 2023.
Cambridge Summer Program applications are open! Apply by December 14 at 11:59p.
You will need a passport that is valid for at least six months AFTER the end of your study abroad program. Overseas Studies recommends that students opt for expedited processing and shipping for all applications. Click below to read more about applying for a new or renewed U.S. passport.
Eligibility and Admission
Students must meet the eligibility requirements set by the USC Dornsife Office of Overseas Studies and the host institution, and they must apply to and receive admission from both institutions. Please refer to general eligibility rules and the Eligibility section on the Overview tab on each program page. The exceptions are USC Paris and USC Madrid, where Overseas Studies solely determines admission. Note that Overseas Studies will check student conduct records with SJACS, USC Housing and the Title IX office in determining eligibility to study abroad.
Students must allow ample time to complete the Overseas Studies application. All applications require the following:
- Overseas Advising Record (see Academics tab on program page) with their major/minor advisor signature(s) and notes
- Letter of recommendation
- Write a personal statement
- Gather official transcripts
- Valid passport scan or a note stating your passport application/renewal is in process
- Other program-specific requirements
Please see the How to Apply tab of the program page for more information.
USC Overseas Studies Application Steps
The video below shows the application process.
- Go to the Program page of the program you are interested in applying to. Read all the tabs to get a better understanding of the program.
- Once you have decided to apply to the program, go to the “How to Apply” tab. Read the information there about the Overseas Studies and host institution application process. Then proceed to click the “Apply” button at the bottom of the page.
The USC Overseas Studies application must be submitted by the USC Overseas Studies deadline. Applications submitted after that deadline will not be accepted, regardless of the host institution’s deadline.
Apply to One Program
Most Overseas Studies programs are not competitive. Thus, students may only apply to one program. However, students applying to one of the following competitive programs may apply to a backup program:
India – Bodh Gaya (fall only)
Italy – ICCS Rome
Japan – Nanzan University
Japan – Waseda University (full year only)
South Korea – Yonsei University
UK – London School of Economics (full year only)
UK – British American Drama Academy (BADA)
UK – University College London
UK – King’s College London
NOTE: If an applicant is admitted to the competitive program, the backup application must be withdrawn.