Marlen Macias – Maastricht University

• Major: Urban Studies & Planning

• Minor: Occupational Science

• Email: marlenma@usc.edu

Talk to me about: Anything! If you’re wondering whether the Netherlands is the right fit for you, have questions about navigating the train system, need travel tips or looking for recommendations on must-visit spots around Maastricht, I’m here to help! My time abroad was incredible and I’m eager to support anyone wanting to experience it too. As a first-generation, low-income student, I’m open to sharing insights on how I navigated studying abroad from that perspective. Living in the Netherlands was the best time of my life, and I highly recommend it to everyone. Please feel free to reach out!

Advice: Embrace every opportunity that comes your way! Studying abroad is such a unique time in your college years, and being open to everything will lead to unforgettable memories and experiences. Prior to going abroad, I had no idea what to expect, but I kept an open mind and it turned out to be the most amazing experience and I’d do it all over again. I met the greatest people who are now my best friends. So take on those new experiences, explore the Netherlands and the rest of Europe! Dive into the culture by celebrating Dutch holidays like Carnival and Kings Day, befriend your favorite bakery owners, or even join a yoga class — these all made Maastricht feel like home for me. Balancing academics with social life and travel is key, especially with Maastricht University’s learning model, but you’ll find your rhythm.

Back to Study Abroad Ambassadors