Camryn Shevlin – Semester in Athens with CYA

Talk to me about: Anything and everything! Studying abroad in Greece was the best experience of my life and I cannot recommend CYA enough as a study abroad program. As someone who hadn’t traveled abroad much in my life, I was terrified to move across the world to a place I had never been. Greece instantly welcomed me with open arms and became my home away from home. It is a place filled with the kindest people, the most delicious food, and the most beautiful spots in the world. I had SO many questions before going abroad, so please don’t hesitate to reach out if you are feeling the same 🙂

Advice: The best advice I have is to take advantage of every opportunity you can. I know people always say this, but when it comes to being abroad I cannot emphasize it enough. My 4 months in Greece flew by, and even after all this time I wanted more. Get out there and explore Athens as much as possible! Most of my favorite experiences from abroad were those spent walking in new neighborhoods, befriending the owners at my favorite shops, and learning about this wonderful city I was so lucky to live in. Challenge yourself to meet local people, and if you’re feeling brave you can even try talking to people in Greek! Additionally, although traveling around Europe while abroad is amazing, visit around Greece as much as you can. There are SO many Greek islands, way more than I knew about, and each island has its own unique and beautiful culture. If you want to truly live like the Greeks, you have to eat gyros by the Mediterranean Sea at least once! Greek culture is such a beautiful one, and I can confidently say that you will feel forever changed by experiencing it.

Back to Study Abroad Ambassadors