Advisors for FIRST YEARS in the Social Sciences, which includes our department’s 3 majors:
Health and Human Sciences, NGOs and Social Change, and Sociology
Deja Powell, Rika Yano and Nicholas Coleman are the advisors for SOPHOMORES, JUNIORS AND SENIORS for the following majors and minors in Dornsife:
– Majors: Health and Human Sciences, NGOs and Social Change, Sociology
–Minors: Forensics and Criminality, Sociology
- If you are a sociology major or minor, please contact your advisor if you are hoping to take a course that has a pre-requisite you have not fulfilled. In most cases, it is not possible to take courses out of sequence.
- If you are an NGOs and Social Change or Health and Human Sciences major, please contact your advisor.
- If you are not a sociology major and one of our courses counts towards your major or minor, please ask your advisor to contact the Sociology/NGOS/HHSC advisors. Your request can only be considered if space is available.
- If you are not a sociology major and the course does not count towards one of your majors or minors, space restrictions make it unlikely that you will be able to enroll in a course with pre-requisites. If spaces are available, we will consider requests two weeks before the start of the semester. Please ask your advisor to contact the Sociology/NGOS/HHSC advisors.
Please be advised about the following policies regarding substitution requests:
- Dornsife only allows two substitutions to fulfill major requirements.
- The requested course must qualify as an equivalent course with the existing requirement, as determined by the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- Substitutions are only considered if there is a compelling reason that the student will not otherwise be able to complete the major (i.e., a required course is not offered or conflicts with another required course in the student’s schedule)
- Substitutions are rarely granted for students before their senior year.
Visit the USC Office of Academic Records and Registrar’s webpage for other relevant forms.