A major or minor in Spanish and Portuguese can complement interests in international relations, political science, business, education, sociology, linguistics, political science… the possibilities are endless.
Lower Division (4 units)*
SPAN 260 Advanced Spanish: Arts and Sciences
Upper Division (16 units)
Four of the following courses:
– SPAN 301 Introduction to Hispanic Literature and Film
– SPAN 310 Structure of Spanish
– One other SPAN literature, culture, film course
– One 400 level SPAN course
Electives (16 units):
Four other upper division SPAN courses.
* Majors and minors may request a waiver of SPAN 260 if they meet one or more of the following prerequisites: a) a score of 5 on the Spanish language or literature advanced placement (AP) exam; b) a score of 6 or 7 on the Spanish International Baccalaureate Higher-Level exam (IBHL); c) a score of 800 in the Spanish SAT subject exam; or d) demonstrate advanced proficiency in spoken and written Spanish. Departmental approval is required in every case.
Please read about our Honors Program.
Top Image by Photographer Carlos Fernandez. 2022.