The department expects undergraduate majors and minor in the program to be able to demonstrate the following learning outcomes:
1. Communicate effectively in one of the East Asian languages.
2. Have a basic knowledge in at least one of the East Asian cultural traditions.
3. Become acquainted with the major issues and paradigms in the field of East Asian studies.
4. Critically interpret foreign cultural texts in various media from a historically informed and situated perspective.
5. Think analytically and comprehensively about regional and global affairs.
6. Write a clear and eloquent expository or analytical essay about a topic of one’s interest in the area of East Asian languages and cultures.
7. Apply the foregoing language skills, knowledge, and habits of critical thinking in a practical context that can include completing an internship or designing and completing a special project.