Table of Contents

  • About the KSI
  • Korean classes at USC
  • Resources and services
  • Filming information


About the KSI

What do you do?

We are a non-partisan research institute focused on promoting the academic study of Korea through research and teaching. We support USC students and faculty through our annual signature programs. We also produce a widely-viewed YouTube channel with Korean studies lectures from diverse disciplines. Learn more about us here.

How can I support the institute?

Gifts from individuals and foundations help us carry out our mission to explain Korea to the world through research and teaching, and become a global leader in Korean studies. To support KSI scholarships, special programs and activities, please contact Associate Director Gloria Koo. For designated online giving to the institute, please visit USC Giving.

What are your hours?

We are open Monday to Friday from 9:30 AM – 5:00 PM unless there is a University Holiday. Office staff take a break from noon to 1:00 pm during the lunch hour and the office will close on occasion for staff training and development.

Are you a museum or a memorial?

We are a working office part of the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences that hosts academic programs and research fellows. The Ahn House is a historic location that houses the USC Korean Studies Institute staff and faculty, and is used primarily to host academic programs. A very small collection of historical photos are on display in the building but we are not a memorial or museum. Most guests spend an average of 5-10 minutes here.

How can I book a tour at the Ahn House?

Because we are not a museum, we do not host tours. Individual guests and small groups are welcome to come inside during business hours for a self-guided visit unless there is an event taking place. We cannot host tour company group tours.

Korean classes at USC

How can I find more information about Korean language classes at USC?

Korean language courses are administered by the East Asian Languages and Cultures department. Visit their website for more information.

Is there a Korean studies major at USC?

There isn’t a major but there is a minor administered by the East Asian Studies Center. Visit their website for more information. Graduate students and undergrads can emphasize studying Korea or find Korea-related courses through programs in the departments of East Asian Languages and CulturesEast Asian Studies CenterPOIRSociologyEconomicsHistoryEnglishGender Studies, and Cinema and Media Studies.

Do you teach courses on Korea?

Since we are not an academic department, we don’t administer courses but we will occasionally host special lectures on Korean and Korean American issues. Please sign up on our mailing list and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected.

Undergraduate and graduate level courses (within Dornsife College) on Korea and East Asia are taught through the East Asian Languages and Cultures, History, and International Relations departments, and also through the East Asian Studies Center (courses offered in the different departments include Korean history, cinema, literature, linguistics, area studies, etc.). Please check out the Schedule of Classes for full course listings.

Resources and services

What resources do you offer graduate students?

We host an annual graduate symposium for graduate students studying Korea and Asia in spring semester, offer summer field grant funding to USC Ph.D. students, and co-host graduate professionalization seminars. Please visit our opportunities page for more information.

What resources do you offer undergraduate students?

We have a research mentoring opportunity called the KSI Fellows Program and co-host an annual research exchange with the University of Michigan. Visit our opportunities page for more information.

What resources do you offer to the public?

We have a YouTube channel with Korean studies lectures that can be accessed worldwide, 24/7. We occasionally host lectures open to the public. Sign up on our mailing list and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to stay connected.

Do you offer postdoctoral fellowships?

We do not offer postdoctoral fellowships at this time.

What library resources about Korea are available at USC?

Visit the USC Korean Heritage Library’s site for more information about resources offered on Korea at USC.

Do you offer translation services or know of translation resources?

We do not offer translation services out of our office nor do we have any connections to translation services at this time.

I’d like to advertise to Korean students at USC or USC students in general. How can I do that?

As an academic research institute, we have a policy to only share opportunities and advertisements from USC or other academic institutions that relate to research, teaching, and scholarship.

Filming information

I’m a USC Cinema student. Can I film at the Ahn House?

We only allow students to film outside after business hours or on weekends if there are no previous institute events scheduled. We cannot accommodate requests such as leaving interior lights on, moving outdoor signage, etc.

I’m a filmmaker/from a TV show/from a production company. Can I film at the Ahn House?

All special filming requests (commercial, broadcast, movie, documentary, etc.) must be requested through the USC Campus Filming office. Please contact KSI Associate Director, Gloria Koo for more information.

I’m from the media and would like to speak to someone about a story I’m working on. Who can I contact?

Please contact the office at 213-740-3758 or e-mail We cannot promise that faculty will be available but staff can answer questions about requests. You may also visit to find faculty specialists at USC.