Congratulations to Jason Harris on his appointment as Visiting Assistant Professor at Tulane University.
Sandra Blakely, Guest Speaker
Friday, April 25, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM
USC-UCLA GREEK SEMINAR (Monday, Jan 27)
Both Classics Departments joined forces to engage Prof. Leslie Kurke (Classics & Comp Lit, UC Berkeley) in conversation about her award-winning book "Aesopic Conversations: Popular Tradition, Cultural Dialogue, and the Invention of Greek Prose" (2011). About 35 people attended, including a good Bruin cohort from Westwood.
(1) Leslie spoke for about 20 minutes on her approach to the methodology that guided her in writing this innovative work. In a nutshell: ask others for help suggesting theoretical works that will help you answer the questions you put to the texts with which you are working.
(2) 7 faculty and grad students from both departments asked Leslie one or two questions about different chapters: Richard Ellis (UCLA), Greg Thalmann (USC), Kristen Mann (UCLA), Russell Pascatore (USC), Mario Telò (UCLA), Christian Lehmann (USC), Alex Purves (UCLA), and James Collins (USC).
(3) Ellen Finkerlpearl (Scripps College) spoke for 15 minutes about the Roman context of Aesop (including Phaedrus) and asked Leslie several questions.
(4) A few questions from those in attendance concluded the event itself, which was followed by a reception at the University Club.
Photos include: Leslie Kurke, Ellen Finkelpearl, James Collins, Kathryn Morgan, Mario Telò
- Department of Classics
- University of Southern California
- THH 256
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0352
- Phone: (213) 740 - 3676
- Email: email@example.com