Jonathan QuongAssociate Professor of Philosophy
Office: MHP 113
I have a D.Phil in political philosophy from Nuffield College, Oxford. I was a lecturer and then senior lecturer at the University of Manchester from 2003-2013. I've also held visiting positions at the Australian National University, Princeton University, and Tulane University.
- B.A. , University of British Columbia, 1999
- M.A. , University of British Columbia, 2000
- Ph.D. , University of Oxford, 2004
- Quong, J. (2011). Liberalism Without Perfection. Oxford University Press.
- Quong, J. (2014). On the Idea of Public Reason. A Companion to Rawls pp. 265-280. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Quong, J. (2012). Rights. The Companion to Social and Political Philosophy pp. 618-628. Routledge.
- Quong, J. (2013). Public Reason. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Quong, J. (2014). Liberalism Without Perfection: Replies to Lister, Kulenovic, Zoffoli, Zelic, and Baccarini. Philosophy and Society. Vol. 25, pp. 96-122.
- Quong, J. (2014). What is the Point of Public Reason?. Philosophical Studies.
- Quong, J. (2012). Liability to Defensive Harm. Philosophy & Public Affairs. Vol. 40, pp. 45-77.
- Quong, J., Firth, J. M. (2012). Necessity, Moral Liability, and Defensive Harm. Law and Philosophy. Vol. 31, pp. 673-701.
- Quong, J. (2012). Liberalism Without Perfection: Replies to Gaus, Colburn, Chan, and Bocchiola. Philosophy & Public Issues. Vol. 2, pp. 51-79.
- Quong, J. (2011). Left-Libertarianism: Rawlsian not Luck Egalitarian. Journal of Political Philosophy. Vol. 19, pp. 64-89.
- Quong, J. (2010). Justice Beyond Equality. Social Theory and Practice. Vol. 36, pp. 315-340.
- Quong, J. (2010). The Distribution of Authority. Representation. Vol. 46, pp. 35-52.
- Quong, J. (2009). Killing in Self-Defense. Ethics. Vol. 111, pp. 507-537.
- Editorial Board, Law and Philosophy, 2014-
- Area Editor, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly, 2013-
- Advisory Board, Social Theory and Practice, 2013-
- Advisory Board, Oxford Studies in Political Philosophy, 2012-
- Associate Editor, Australasian Journal of Philosophy, 2011-
- Editorial Board, Bloomsbury Research in Political Philosophy, 2011-
- Associate Editor, Politics, Philosophy & Economics, 2010-
- Associate Editor, Representation: The Journal of Representative Democracy, 2008-
Description of Research
Service to the Profession
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- School of Philosophy
- 3709 Trousdale Parkway
- Mudd Hall of Philosophy, MHP 113
- Phone: (213) 740 - 4084
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org