Applying to the PhD in Economics Program
All applicants must apply via USC's online application system, and all applicants should review and follow directions stated within the Office of Graduate Admission website.
Applications for admission to the doctoral program are due December 1, 2022, at 8:59 PM (PST), without exception. The Department starts accepting such applications in September. We do not accept paper applications.
The online application requires the following:
1. Statement of Purpose: This is typically two pages in length, double-spaced, and about your interest in economics.
2. GRE Scores: The Department accepts GRE scores that applicants have earned within the past five years. We like to see applicants with at least 150 on the verbal section and 160 on the quantitative section. Most of our admitted students have received scores well beyond those minimums, so please keep that in mind. The Department does not accept the GMAT scores. The ETS code for USC is 4852. This is the only code that should be used.
3. Transcripts: Whenever possible, applicants should upload scanned copies of official transcripts to the online application system (USC CAS). Please note that these materials must be official transcripts printed on university letterhead. Print-outs from online student portals are not acceptable. An applicant with an international education history must submit both original-language and English-language versions of transcripts.
For more information concerning the submission of academic records, visit the PhD Admissions FAQ page within the Department's website and the following pages within the Office of Graduate Admission's website: Video – Academic History, FAQ, and Country Requirements
4. Three Letters of Recommendation: The Departments likes to see at least two letters from academic references. All three letters may be submitted via the online application system.
5. English Proficiency Requirements: For detailed information regarding English proficiency requirements, please click here. The Department accepts both the TOEFL and IELTS examinations. Applicants must submit an IELTS composite score of at least 7 or a TOEFL composite score of at least 100.