Kuper Bergman

Can you tell us about your research focus or interests?

My research focus/interests primarily concern Japanese foreign policy, political history, and US-Japan relations. In particular, I have developed a strong interest in Japanese territorial and defense policy and Japanese domestic politics. I am currently writing my thesis on how Japanese domestic politics shapes the contours of Japanese policy directed toward the disputed Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands.

Do you have any advice for incoming students?

My advice to incoming students is to take advantage of all the resources provided by USC and the department. USC. There are always excellent events, talks, and seminars being held on campus and those can not only help shape your own research interests but also provide a forum to meet USC’s excellent faculty, staff, and other students.

What are your plans after graduation?

I would like to play a role in influencing US foreign policy and US-Japanese relations. In particular, I will be pursuing a career in foreign policy research and international relations.

Kuper Begman in a suit and tie Kuper Bergman walking across a bridge in a kimono Kuper Bergman posing in front of an orange, autumn tree Kuper and his partner on the beach Kuper and his partner on a lake