Noah Hernandez

How did you become interested in the Global East Asia Tokyo Maymester?

I became interested in the Global East Asia Tokyo Maymester after looking for different opportunities to participate in a program where I could study in an urban environment. I was intrigued by the course, which focused on how Japanese society impacts design, and thought that going to Tokyo in an academic environment would be a more fulfilling experience than going alone. I love learning about how sociocultural factors influence design, so the course perfectly fit my interests.

What was your research focus and in what ways did the Global East Asia Tokyo program impact or help your research?

My research focused on Tokyo’s urban design and pedestrian-oriented infrastructure. I’m honestly a stan for cities. Learning about how they’re built and how the built environment impacts peoples’ lived experiences is fascinating. Doing this in the world’s largest city, Tokyo, was a perfect opportunity to conduct research. The multi-disciplinary perspective of the course helped me gain a comprehensive perspective of what good design is and how various social implications impact design.

Can you share any anecdotes about your experience?

My favorite experience was going to TeamLabs with the class. The exhibits all focused on sensory experiences, which was so cool. It was great getting to experience all of the rooms; it was honestly so beautiful and immersive.

Is there any research or project you are currently working on that you would also like to share?

I’m currently taking a GIS class where I’m developing a final project. I’m thinking about mapping out how specific transportation improvements in Los Angeles are changing neighborhoods and if any of these changes are impacting transit ridership.