Service-learning is an educational approach that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities. We encourage you to approach your JEP assignment with flexibility, curiosity, an open mind, and a willingness to work hard – both on and off site.
JEP’s goals are to help students:
- Engage with the subject matter of the course by using concepts and theories as lenses for understanding experiences in the community.
- Learn about communities and neighborhoods near USC.
- Understand the root causes of social problems that affect your JEP site and the service you are providing.
- Develop a deeper understanding of what is ethicaly good and ethically problematic about service.
- Develop “soft skills” such as collaboration, critical thinking, problem-solving, public speaking and adaptability.
- Integrate and contextualize new experiences vis a vis one's own perspectives about the world.