- Thèse d’Etat Mathematics, University of Paris XI (Orsay), 1/1985
- Thèse 3ème cycle Mathematics, University of Paris XI (Orsay), 1/1979
- M.A. Mathematics, University of Paris VII, 1/1975
- J.E. Procter Fellow, Princeton University, 1979-1980
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor, University of Southern California, 01/01/1989 –
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 01/01/1987 – 01/01/1989
- Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, 01/01/1986 – 01/01/1987
- Chargé de Recherche, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique and Universite de Paris-Sud, 01/01/1983 – 01/01/1986
- Attache de Recherche, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique and Universite de Paris-Sud, 01/01/1980 – 01/01/1983
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Francis Bonahon’s research is in topology and geometry, with a strong interface with complex analysis and dynamical systems. He specializes in manifolds of dimension two and three. While his early work involved low-dimensional topology and knot theory, his more recent research is centered on hyperbolic geometry and quantum topology.
- Bonahon, F. (2009). Low-dimensional geometry: from euclidean surfaces to hyperbolic knots. American Mathematical Society.
- Bonahon, F., Liu, X. (2007). Representations of the quantum Teichmuller space, and invariants of surface diffeomorphisms. Geometry and Topology. Vol. 11, pp. 889-937.
- Bonahon, F. (2005). Kleinian groups which are almost fuchsian. J. Reine. Angew. Math./Walter de Gruyter. Vol. vol. 587, pp. p. 1-15.
- Bonahon, F., Otal, J. (2004). Lamination mesurées de plissage des variétés hyperboliques de dimension 3. Annals of Mathematics. Vol. Vol 160, pp. pp. 1013-1055.
- Bonahon, F.Geometric structures on 3-manifolds, in: Handbook of geometric topology, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 2002, pp. 93-164.
- Bonahon, F.Ensembles limites et applications, Proceedings of the International Congress of Mathematicians pp. 599-608, Math. Soc. Japan, Tokyo, 1991.
- Fellow (or Equivalent) of National Society in Discipline, Fellow of the American Mathematical Society, 2012
- USC Raubenheimer Outstanding Senior Faculty Award, , 1994
- NIH/NSF Career Development Award, Presidential Young Investigator, 1989-1994
- Recipient of National or International Prize in Discipline, Invited Speaker, International Congress of Mathematicians, 1990
- Sloan Research Fellowship Recipient, Sloan Fellow, 1987-1989
- Recipient of National or International Prize in Discipline, Bronze Medal, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (France), 1985
- Chair, 08/16/2011-08/15/2014
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Journal of Knot Theory and its Ramifications”, 1992 –
- Associate Editor, Journal of the American Mathematical Society”, 2003 – 2009
- Member of the Editorial Board, Annales de la Faculté des Sciences de Toulouse”, 1991 – 2009
- Editor, Inventiones Mathematicae”, 01/01/1997 – 12/31/2006