Phone: (213) 821-0477
Office: THH 431
- B.A. Literature/Creative Writing, UCSD, 1991
- M.F.A. Fiction, University of California, Irvine, 1998
Description of Research
Interests: Contemporary fiction, surrealism, magical realism, experimental fiction, classic and new tellings of fairy tales, the short story, the novel, the short-short, the novella, the process of writing, the curious world of the writing workshop.
- Bender, A. (2013). The Color Master. Doubleday.
- Bender, A. (2010). The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake. Doubleday.
- Bender, A. M. (2005). Willful Creatures. Doubleday.
- Bender, A. M. (2000). An Invisible Sign of my Own. Doubleday.
- Bender, A. M. (1998). The Girl in the Flammable Skirt. Doubleday.
Honors and Awards
- Judge, story contest, Mid-American Review, 2006-2007
- PEN West Mentor of the Year, for Emerging Writers Program, 2006-2007
- Pushcart Prize, 2005-2006