Research & Practice Areas
Experimental condensed matter physics, Physical Chemistry, Quantum Sensing, Spin Dynamics, Magnetic Resonance, Quantum Decoherence, Nanomagnetism
Center, Institute & Lab Affiliations
- Center for Quantum Information Science & Technology (CQIST),
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Our research focuses on the quantum physics of spin systems. Nitrogen-vacancy (NV) impurity centers in diamond are well-isolated from their surrounding environment. NV centers exhibit long quantum coherence which allows us to observe quantum mechanics in the system. We utilize various magnetic resonance techniques to implement quantum gate operations in the NV centers to realize quantum-assisted applications such as an extremely sensitive magnetic sensor which enables imaging of a single electron and nuclear spin. We also apply electron spin magnetic resonance to image static and dynamic structure of biological molecules.
- Fortman, B., Pena, J., Holczer, K., Takahashi, S. (2020). Demonstration of NV-detected ESR spectroscopy at 115 GHz and 4.2 Tesla. Appl. Phys. Lett.. Vol. 116, pp. 174004. doi
- Fortman, B., Takahashi, S. (2019). Understanding linewidth of ESR spectrum detected by a single NV center in diamond. J. Phys. Chem. A. Vol. 123, pp. 6350. doi
- Stepanov, V., Takahashi, S. (2016). Determination of nitrogen spin concentration in diamond using double electron-electron resonance. Phys. Rev. B. Vol. 94, pp. 024421. doi
- Romanova, E. E., Akiel, R., Takahashi, S. (2013). Grafting nitroxide radicals on nanodiamond surface using click chemistry. J. Phys. Chem. A. Vol. 117, pp. 11933.
- Wang, Z., Takahashi, S. (2013). Spin decoherence and electron spin bath noise of a nitrogen-vacancy center in diamond. Phys. Rev. B. Vol. 87, pp. 115122.
- Takahashi, S., Brunel, L., Edwards, D. T., van Tol, J., Ramian, G., Han, S., Sherwin, M. S. (2012). Free-electron laser-powered pulsed electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopy. Nature. Vol. 489, pp. 409-413.
- Takahashi, S., Tupitsyn, I. S., van Tol, J., Beedle, C. C., Hendrickson, D. N., Stamp, P. C. (2011). Decoherence in crystals of quantum molecular magnets. Nature. Vol. 476, pp. 76.