Maria Mercedes Fages Agudo
- Other Degree Certificacion de Aptitud Pedagogica, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain, 1992
- Other Degree Licenciatura in History, Art and Ancient Archeology, Universidad de Barcelona, Spain, 1992
Research, Teaching, Practice, and Clinical Appointments
- Senior Lecturer, USC, 2016-2017
- Full-Time Lecturer, USC, 2013-2015
- Part-Time Lecturer, USC, 2011-2012
- Head of Spanish Department, St.Edwards, Oxford (UK), 2010-2011
- Spanish Instructor, St.Edwards, Oxford (UK), 2008-2011
- Full Time Lecturer, Ohio State University, 2005-2006
- Spanish Head of Department, Lead teacher and curriculum developer, Fair-weather Street School, 1996-1999
Visiting and Temporary Appointments
- Spanish Instructor, Magdalen College School, Oxford (UK),
- Adjunct Lecturer, Nazareth College, Rochester,
Summary Statement of Research Interests
María Mercedes Fages Agudo joined USC in 2010. She previously taught Spanish at St. Edwards School in England, the Ohio State University, and Nazareth College. Her focus throughout her career has been on language instruction at all levels. She has particular interests in second-language acquisition, teaching methodology, and language assessment. Teaching in the USA and abroad, Mercedes has always sought out opportunities to create ties between her students and the community. In 2014 she created, Feliz en la Comunidad, a service-learning program. It allows students to practice their Spanish, teaching, and leadership skills while becoming involved in Los Angeles’ culturally and socially diverse neighborhoods. In 2020 Professor Fages Agudo was awarded the USC Dornsife Faculty Council Service Award and the JEP Award for Community-Engaged Teaching and Research. In 2022 she and two of her colleagues launched Oerinspanish, a searchable site for Spanish instructors and students. The site is a collaborative project which publishes materials created by USC’s Spanish instructors and students, as well as AP Spanish students of neighboring High Schools. It showcases her strong interest in community collaboration.
- “¿Qué es un programa de alcance comunitario y qué beneficios aporta a la clase de español?” Lecture/Seminar, General Spanish Consulate of Los Angeles, Invited, Centro de recursos de Los Angeles, 2017-2018
- Improving Text Type and Accuracy in Second and Third Semester Spanish , 100th Annual AATSP ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, Salamanca, Spain, 2017-2018
- Fages Agudo, M., Stepanyan, L. (2022). El poder del arte. Materiales: Revista para la enseñanza multicultural. Vol. 30/2022 (Edición: noviembre de 2022), pp. pp.36-43.
- Fages Agudo, M., Fudacz, J., Mesrobian, L. (2020). Preparando al alumno del futuro: 2020 Cómo crear e implementar un programa educativo de alcance comunitario en el aula de español.
- JEP Award for Community-Engaged Teaching and Research, 2022-2023
- USC Dornsife Faculty Council Service Award, 2021-2022
Media, Alumni, and Community Relations
- Feliz en Español,