Research & Practice Areas
Asian-American history; Japanese American; ethnic identity politics; internment studies; comparative ethnicity.
- Ph.D. American History, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 12/1994
- M.A. American History, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 12/1990
- B.A. History of Public Policy, University of California, Santa Barbara, 6/1986
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor, University of Southern California, 2016 –
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 2001 – 2016
- Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, 1995 – 2001
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Kurashige studies racial ideologies, politics of identity, emigration/immigration, historiography, cultural enactments, and social reproduction, particularly as they pertain to Asians in the United States.
- Kurashige, Lon (Ed.). (2017). Pacific America: Histories of Transoceanic Crossings.
- Kurashige, L. (2016). Two Faces of Exclusion: The Untold History of Anti-Asian Racism. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.
- Kurashige, L. (2012). Unexpected Views of the Internment. Colors of Confinement Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press.
- Kurashige, L. Y. (2008). A New perspective on Race, Immigration, and California Progressives. Blackwell.
- Kurashige, L. Y. (2004). “Universalism and Particularism in Asian American Studies: Towards a Historiography”. pp. p. 21-35. Kyoto University, Japan: New Wave: Studies on Japanese Americans in the 21st Century/Institute for Research in Humanities.
- Kurashige, L. Y. (2002). “Social History and the Multicultural Turn”. Reviews in American History 30, 3/Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. p. 355-364.
- Kurashige, L. Y. (2001). “Agency, Resistance, and Manzanar Protest”. Pacific Historical Review 70, 3/University of California Press. pp. p. 387-418.
- Kurashige, L. Y. (2000). “The Problem of Biculturalism: Japanese American Identity and Festival Before World War II”. Journal of American History 86, 4/Organization of American Historians. pp. p. 1632-1654.
- Kurashige, L. Y. (1996). “The Protestant and the Catholic: Dimensions of Asian American History. Reviews in American History 24, 4/Johns Hopkins University Press. pp. p. 663-667.
- USC Innovative Teaching Award, 2005-2006
- Fulbright Award, 2003-2004
- Civil Liberties Public Education Fund Fellowship, 1997
- National Endowment for the Humanities Fellowship Recipient, 1997