Jill L McNitt-Gray
Center, Institute & Lab Affiliations
- Biomechanics Research Lab, Director
- Center for Robotics and Embedded Systems,
- Center for Excellence in Genomic Science, mentor-Genomic Research Experience for Undergraduates(GREU)
- Colburn School of Music, Collaborator
- Department of Veterans Administration, Researcher (WOC)
- Get SSet Sports Science, Engineering, and Technology Academy, Co-Director
- Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center, Consultant/Collaborator
- UCLA Dept of Music, Music Education,
- USC Athletics, Biomechanics/Performance Consultant
- USC Center for Excellence in Teaching National Science Foundation Young Scholars Program, Mentor,
- Ph.D. Biomechanics, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, 5/1989
- M.A. Biomechanics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 5/1985
- A.B. Mathematics and Statistics, Coaching Certification, Miami University, 5/1980
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor, University of Southern California, 02/03/2006 –
- Joint Appointment Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California, 01/01/1989 –
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor McNitt-Gray studies mechanisms organisms use to control and distribute mechanical load during goal-directed multijoint movements involving external loading.
biomechanics, multijoint movement, impact, motor control, neuroscience, mechanical engineering, injury prevention, performance, sports, dance, music, clinical populations, ergonomics, rehabilitation engineering
Detailed Statement of Research Interests
Dr McNitt-Gray’s research focuses on the control and dynamics of physically-demanding goal-directed movements of daily living. Hypotheses tested target mechanisms organisms(including humans)use to control energy transfer during interaction with their environment. This is accomplished by integrating biomechanics-based experimentation, field work, mathematical and dynamic modeling techniques, and computer simulation.
- Lee, J., Flashner, H., McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2011). Lee, J., Flashner, H., & McNitt-Gray, J.L. (2011). Estimation of multibody kinematics using position measurements. Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics. Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics. Vol. January 2011
- J.L. Mc Nitt-Gray, J. J. (2011). Raina, S., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Mulroy, S., Requejo, P.S. (2011). Effect of increased load on scapular kinematics during manual wheelchair propulsion in individuals with paraplegia and tetraplegia. Human Movement Science.
- Munaretto, J. (2011). Munaretto, J., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Flashner, H., & Requejo, P.S. (2011). Effect of reaction force redirection on the upper extremity mechanical demand imposed during manual wheelchair propulsion. Clinical Biomechanics.
- Raina, S. (2011). Raina, S., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Mulroy, S., & Requejo, P.S. (2011). Effect of recovery patterns on wheelchair propulsion kinetics of users with paraplegia and tetraplegia. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine.
- Tseng, Z. (2011). Tseng, Zhijie Jack, McNitt-Gray, J.L., Flashner, H., Wang, X., & Enciso, R. (2011). Model sensitivity and use of the comparative finite element method in mammalian jaw mechanics: mandible performance in the gray wolf, PLoS ONE, 6(4).
- McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2009). Requejo, P.S., Maneekobkunwong, S., McNitt-Gray, J.L., Adkins, R., & Waters, R. (2009). Influence of hand-rim wheelchairs with rear suspension on seat forces and head accelerations during curb descent landings. Journal of Rehabilitation Medicine, 41: 459-466.
- McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2007). Mathiyakom, W. *& McNitt-Gray, J.L. & Wilcox, R. (2007). Regulation of angular impulse during two forward translating tasks, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 23, 149-61. Journal of Applied Biomechanics.
- Mathiyakom, W., McNitt-Gray, , Wilcox, R. R. (2006). Mathiyakom, W.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L. & Wilcox, R. (2006). Lower extremity control and dynamics during backward angular impulse generation in backward translating tasks, Experimental Brain Research, 169(3):377-88. Experimental Brain Research/Springer. Vol. 169(3), pp. 377-88.
- McNitt-Gray, (2006). McNitt-Gray, J.L., Requejo, P.S., & Flashner, H. (2006). Multijoint control strategies transfer between tasks, Biological Cybernetics. 94(6):501-10. Biological Cybernetics/Springer. Vol. 94(6), pp. 501-10.
- Mathiyakom, W., McNitt-Gray, , Wilcox, R. R. (2006). Mathiyakom, W.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L. & Wilcox, R. (2006). Lower extremity control and dynamics during backward angular impulse generation in forward translating tasks, Journal of Biomechanics, 39(6):990-1000. Journal of Biomechanics/Elsevier. Vol. 39(6), pp. 990-1000.
- Mathiyakom, W. (2004). Mathiyakom, W.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L., Requejo, P.S.*, & Costa, K.* (2004). Modifying center of mass trajectory during sit-to-stand tasks redistributes the mechanical demand across the lower extremity joints, Clinical Biomechanics. 20(1),105-111.
- McNitt-Gray, J. L. (2001). McNitt-Gray, J.L. Hester, D.M.E.,* Mathiyakom, W.,* & Munkasy, B.A.* (2001). Mechanical demand and multijoint control during landing depend on orientation of the body segments relative to the reaction force. Journal of Biomechanics. 34, 1471–1482.
- Heuser, F. (1993). Heuser, F. & McNitt-Gray, J.L. (1993). EMG potentials in trumpet players with asymmetrical mouthpiece placement, Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 8(3), 96-102.
- McNitt-Gray, McNitt-Gray, J.L., Koff, S.R. & Hall, B.L. (1992). The influence of dance training and foot position on landing mechanics, Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 7(3), 87-91.
- McNitt-Gray, Heuser, F.* & McNitt-Gray, J.L. (1991). EMG potentials prior to tone commencement in trumpet players, Medical Problems of Performing Artists, 6(2), 51-56.
- Translating Science and Engineering into Practice, https://dornsife.usc.edu/videos/research/516/jill-mcnitt-gray/, 1988
- Improving Human Performance using Science and Engi, https://pressroom.usc.edu/anatomy-of-a-perfect-dive/, 1988
- STEM Outreach: USC Biomechanics Research Lab- McNi, https://dornsife.usc.edu/news/stories/1346/springboard-to-teaching-stem/, 1988
- Multimedia, Multimedia data base for analyzing movement
- Biomechanics of Movement: Multimedia Data Base, http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/p15799coll87, 09/01/2008
- Fellow, National Academy of Kinesiology, 2023
- Geoffrey Dyson Award, International Society of Biomechanics in Sports, 2023
- Hay Award- Research Award, American Society of Biomechanics , 2016/08
- Harmon Brown Award- USA Track and Field, 2016
- Fellow, International Society of Biomechanics, 2015
- Interdisciplinary Research , 2015
- Fellow, American Society of Biomechanics, 2013
- Mellon Mentoring Award for Mentorship of Undergraduate Students, 2010/03
- Gablian Distinguished Professor in Science and Engineering, 2016-2019
- President-Elect, President, Past-President American Society of Biomechanics, 2009/08/25-2012/08/26
- Outstanding Research by Undergraduate Students, first place, Interdisciplinary Award for Research in Life Sciences, USC Undergraduate Symposium for Scholarly and Creative Work 2010, Biomechanical analysis of movement strategies in collegiate volleyball players, Rami Hamzey, Michael Hazboun, Darcelle Kimble-Manalo, Kotaro Uyeda, Advisor: McNitt-Gray, J.L, Spring 2010
- Zumberge Fellow for Interdisciplinary Research with Flashner, H., University of Southern California, 1998, 1998/08/01-1999/12/31
- USC Center for Excellence in Teaching Innovative Teaching Award, 1992
- Winner of Prince Alexandre de Merode Award- Physical Sciences- International Olympic Committee, Medical Commission, 2002. Requejo P.S.*, McNitt-Gray, J.L., & Flashner, H. Flight phase joint control required for successful gymnastics landings. Presented by P.S. Requejo., 1988-1989
- Chair, WiSE-College Committee, 08/20/2009