Center, Institute & Lab Affiliations
- Keck Photonic Lab,
- USC Keck School of Medicine,
- Ph.D. Physics, University of California, Berkeley, 1977
- B.A. Physics, Columbia College, 1972
- Post Doc (R. W. Hellwarth), University of Southern California, 1977-1978
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Jack Feinberg studies the fundamental properties of optical materials and invents optical devices. His pioneering work on photorefractive crystals and phase conjugation launched new directions for many research groups, and photorefractive materials now have their own heading in the optics journals. Using the nonlinearity of an ordinary glass fiber, he converted an invisible infrared laser beam into a visible green laser. Prof. Feinberg also works on the medical applications of lasers and light, and won a 1995 Discover Award for his use of temporal holography to see through human tissue using light instead of x-rays. He also won a General Education Teaching Award from USC for his ability to present difficult concepts clearly to a non-technical audience. In addition to his research, Prof. Feinberg has served as an expert witness and consultant on a variety of high-profile patent cases involving different areas of optics and lasers.
optical, optics, fibers, photorefractive crystals, phase conjugators, nonlinear optics, lenses, patent, imaging
- “Global analysis of light scattering by red blood cells in ektacytometry” , 7th INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CLINICAL HEMORHEOLOGYTalk/Oral Presentation, Invited, Istanbul, Turkey, 2011-2012
- “Physics of Light Scattering from Small Particles” , 14th INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF BIORHEOLOGYLecture/Seminar, Invited, Istanbul, Turkey, 2011-2012
- “”Self-pumped Phase Conjugation and Laser Resonator Cavities” , Photorefractive Materials, Effects and Applications: Light in Nonlinear Structured MaterialsKeynote Lecture, OSA, Invited, Ensenada, Mexico, 2010-2011
- Grubsky, V., Feinberg, J. (2007). Phase-matched third-harmonic UV generation using low-order modes in a glass micro-fiber. Optics Communications/ Elsevier B.V.. Vol. 274 (2), pp. 447-450.
- Grubsky, V., Feinberg, J. (2006). V. Grubsky and J. Feinberg, “Fabrication of Axially Symmetric Long-Period Gratings With a Carbon Dioxide Laser,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters 18, pp. 2296-2298 (2006).
- Grubsky, V., Feinberg, J. (2005). V. Grubsky and J. Feinberg, “Rewritable Densification Gratings in Boron-Doped Fibers,” Opt. Lett. 30, pp. 1279-1281 (2005). Optics Letters/Optical Society of America. Vol. Vol. 30, pp. 1279 – 1281.
- Board Member, Center for Biophotonics Science and Technology, UC Davis, 2006/05
- Discover Award for Technological Innovation in the Field of Sight, 1996
- Fellow – Optical Society of America, 1990