Center, Institute & Lab Affiliations
- Center for Urban Youth, P.I., Steering Committee
- Ph.D. Clinical Psychology, University of Oregon, 1976
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, University of Oregon, 1973
- B.A. Psychology, University of Wisconsin, 1971
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Margolin researches marital conflict and violence, the effects of violence exposure on children, and the examination of resilience versus vulnerability in children. She is well known for her work on family systems, with specific emphasis on ethical and legal issues surrounding family therapy, and treatment and assessment considerations in marital and family therapy.
- Saxbe, D., Margolin, G., Spies, L. A., Baucom, B. (2012). Does dampened physiology reactivity protect youth in aggressive family environments?. Child Development. Vol. 83, pp. 821-830.
- Spies, L. A., Margolin, G., Susman, E., Gordis, E. B. (2011). Adolescents’ cortisol reactivity and subjective distress in response to family conflict: The moderating role of internalizing symptoms. Journal of Adolescent Health. Vol. 49, pp. 386-392.
- Rodriguez, A., Margolin, G. (2011). Siblings of military servicemembers: A qualitative exploration of individual and family systems reactions. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. Vol. 42, pp. 316-323.
- Bennett, D., Guran, E., Ramos, M. C., Margolin, G. (2011). College students’ electronic victimization in friendships and dating relationships: Anticipated distress and associations with risky behaviors. Violence & Victims. Vol. 26, pp. 410-429.
- Margolin, G., Ramos, M. C., Guran, E. L. (2010). Earthquakes and children: The role of psychologists. Professional Psychology Research and Practice. Vol. 41, pp. 1-9.. PubMed Web Address
- Margolin, G., Vickerman, K. A., Oliver, P. H., Gordis, E. B. (2010). Violence exposure in multiple interpersonal domains: Cumulative and differential effects. Journal of Adolescent Health. Vol. 47, pp. 198-205. PubMed Web Address
- Vickerman, K. A., Margolin, G. (2009). Rape treatment outcome research: Empirical findings and state of the literature. Clinical Psychology Review. Vol. 23, pp. 18-34.
- Margolin, G., Vickerman, K. A., Ramos, M. C., Serrano, S. D., Gordis, E. B., Iturralde, E., Oliver, P. H., Spies, L. A. (2009). Youth exposed to violence: Stability, co-occurrence, and context. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review (Invited submission, anticipated publication 03/2009). Vol. 12, pp. 39-54. PubMed Web Address
- Vickerman, K. A., Margolin, G. (2008). Trajectories of physical and emotional marital aggression in middle-aged couples. Violence & Victims/Springer. Vol. 23, pp. 18-34.
- Doumas, D., Margolin, G., John, R. S. (2008). Spillover patterns in single earner couples: work, self-care, and the marital relationship. Journal of Family & Economic Issues. Vol. 29, pp. 55-73.
- Margolin, G., Vickerman, K. A. (2007). Post-traumatic stress in children and adolescents exposed to family violence. I. Overview and issues. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. Vol. 38, pp. 613-619.
- Vickerman, K. A., Margolin, G. (2007). Post-traumatic stress in children and adolescents exposed to family violence. II. Treatment. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice. Vol. 38, pp. 620-628.
- Proctor, L., Fauchier, A., Oliver, P. H., Ramos, M. C., Rios, M. A., Margolin, G. (2007). Family context and young children’s responses to earthquakes. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry/Blackwell. Vol. 48, pp. 941-949.
- Duman, S. E., Margolin, G. (2007). Parents’ aggressive influences and children’s aggressive problem solutions with peers. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. Vol. 36, pp. 42-55..
- Margolin, G., Chien, D., Duman, S. E., Fauchier, A., Gordis, E. B., Oliver, P. H., Ramos, M., Vickerman, K. (2005). Ethical issues in couple and family research. Journal of Family Psychology/APA. Vol. 19, pp. 157-167.
- Gordis, E. B., Margolin, G., Vickerman, K. (2005). Communication and frightening behavior among couples with past and recent histories of physical marital aggression. American Journal of Community Psychology/Kluwer Academic Press. Vol. 36, pp. 177-191.
- Margolin, G., Gordis, E. B. (2000). The effects of family and community violence on children. Annual Review of Psychology/Annual Reviews. Vol. 51, pp. pp. 445-479/.
- USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences Raubenheimer Award, 2013
- USC Mellon Award for Excellence in Mentoring Undergraduate Students, 2008
- USC Award for Excellence in Mentoring Graduate Students, 2006
- Editorial Appreciation Award, Journal of Family Psychology, 2004-2005
- AFTA Award for Distinguished Contribution of Family Systems Research, 1993
- Guggenheim Fellowship Recipient, Harry Frank Guggenheim Career Development Award, 1985-1989
- Director of Clinical Training, 08/15/2008-08/15/2012
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Editorial Board, Journal of Interpersonal Violence”, 2008 –
- Consulting Editor, Journal of Family Psychology”, 1991 –
- Editorial Board, Journal of Family Violence”, 1984 –
- Editorial Board, Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment, and Trauma”, 1998 – 2010
- Editorial Advisory Board, Clinical Psychology Review”, 1993 – 2005
- Associate Editor, Journal of Family Psychology”, 1987 – 1991
- Associate Editor, Behavioral Assessment”, 1984 – 1985
- Society for Research in Adolescence, 2006 –
- American Psychological Society, 2001 –
- Society for Research in Child Development, 1993 –
- American Psychological Association, 1978 –