Students who have exposure to a foreign language prior to enrolling at USC and who plan to fulfill the Foreign Language Requirement by continuing in that same language at USC must take a placement exam. The Language Center administers exams in the following languages:
- Greek (Classical)
For the Portuguese placement exam, contact the Department of Latin American and Iberian Cultures.
For the Hebrew placement exam, contact Jewish Studies Program.
For Russian, contact the Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures.
If you want to take a placement exam, check language@usc Events for the next exam date. Also note:
- Unless indicated otherwise, you do not need to register for a placement exam ahead of time.
- There is no fee for taking a placement exam.
- Arrive ten minutes before the exam starts.
- The exam can take up to 2 hours, so plan accordingly.
- You must bring your USC ID to the exam.
- THERE ARE NO EXAMS AFTER WEEK 1 OF CLASSES, until after the Add/Drop deadline has passed.
- Results from morning exams will be available the same day after 3:00PM. Results from afternoon exams will be available the following business day after 11:00AM.
- The results of your placement exam will be uploaded to your student record.
- Placement exam results are valid for one calendar year.
- You must wait six months before retaking a placement exam.