Dr. Trisha Tucker is an Associate Professor (Teaching) of Writing in the Thematic Option Honors Program (TO) and Dornsife Dean’s Leadership Fellow for Undergraduate Education. As the Head of Writing Instruction in TO, she works to develop course objectives and pedagogical best practices for lower- and upper-division reading, writing, and critical reasoning courses; leads the training of new graduate student instructors and faculty; and assists instructors with the design and implementation of new courses and assignments. Dr. Tucker also serves as Faculty in Residence in the McCarthy Honors College. Past positions include At-Large Member of the Academic Senate Executive Board, President of the Dornsife Faculty Council, and Associate Director of the USC Writing Program. Dr. Tucker holds a Ph.D. in English. Her scholarly and pedagogical interests include nineteenth-century British literature, women’s popular writing, Evangelicalism and Evangelical reading practices, secularization, children’s and young adult literature censorship, book bans, supporting first-year student learning and the transition to college, trauma-informed teaching, and building communities of trust and engagement in the classroom.
- Ph.D. English, University of Southern California, 2014
Visiting and Temporary Appointments
- Professor of English, South Central Scholars Summer Academy, 06/2016-08/2016
- “Gentle Stretching: Techniques for Re-building Student Focus and Resilience” , Pacific Ancient and Modern Language AssociationRoundtable/Panel,
- “Unveiling the ‘Hidden Curriculum’ to Promote Student Success” , Conference on the First-Year ExperienceTalk/Oral Presentation,
- “Action Research for Everyone: A Model for Entering Disciplinary Conversations” , College Composition and Communication Regional ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation,
- “Getting Published: Sharing Your Fascinating Scholarship”, USC Ph.D. Academy Panel, , 2022-2023
- “The Hows and Whys of Conversational Grading”, Writing Across the Curriculum Pedagogy Workshop, , 2022-2023
- “The ‘Hidden Curriculum’ and Other Things No One Told you About College”, USC Microseminar, , 2021-2022
- “A Collaborative Approach to Information Literacy Assessment”, USC Libraries Forum, , 2019-2020
- (Spring 2023) CORE 112. Writing Seminar II: Thematic Option Honors Program, TTh 11:00am – 12:20pm, THH109
- (Spring 2023) CORE 200. Liberal Arts Reading Salon, W 04:00pm – 05:50pm, THH109
- (Spring 2023) CORE 601. Teaching Analytical Writing through Readings in the Humanities, F 11:00am – 12:50pm, THH105
- Tucker, T. (2011). Rev. of Clio in the Classroom: A Guide for Teaching U.S. Women’s History Women’s Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal. Vol. 40.1, pp. 100-103.
- Tucker, T. (2009). Rev. of A Church of Her Own: What Happens When a Woman Takes the Pulpit. Women’s Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal. Vol. 38.2, pp. 238-241.
- Tucker, T. (2022). Book bans reflect outdated beliefs about how children read The Conversation.
- Tucker, T. (2017). What do protests about Harry Potter books teach us? The Conversation.
- Tucker, T. (2019). Evangelicalism The Palgrave Encyclopedia of Victorian Women’s Writing/Palgrave Macmillan. (Ed. Lesa Scholl.).
- Tucker, T. (2012). “Gendering the Evangelical Novel” Rocky Mountain Review. Vol. 66 (1), pp. 83-89.
- Faculty in Residence, McCarthy Honors College, 07/2017
- Dean’s Leadership Fellow for Undergraduate Education, 08/16/2022-08/15/2025
- Dean’s Leadership Fellow for Undergraduate Education, 08/16/2021-08/15/2022
- Advisory Board, USC Center for Excellence in Teaching, 2019-CONT
- Chair, Thematic Option Honors Program Merit Review Committee, 2016-CONT
- Academic Senate Faculty Leadership Fellows Advisory Committee, 2022-2023
- Academic Senate Faculty Environment and Employment Committee, 2021-2022
- Teaching and Academic Programs Joint Senate/Provost Committee, 2020-2021
- At-Large Member, Academic Senate Executive Board, 2017-2020
- Member, Academic Senate Faculty Environment & Employment Committee, 2016-2020
- Member, USC Dornsife Undergraduate Academic Planning Committee, 2016-2019
- Senator, Academic Senate, 2015-2018
- President, Dornsife Faculty Council, 2017-2018
- Member, Faculty in Residence Recruitment Committee, 2017-2018
- Vice President, Dornsife Faculty Council, 2016-2017
- Co-Chair, Dornsife Faculty Council Curriculum Caucus, 2015-2016
- “Advisory Board, USC Center for Excellence in Teaching”, 2019-CONT
- “Chair, Thematic Option Honors Program Merit Review Committee”, 2016-CONT
- “Academic Senate Faculty Leadership Fellows Advisory Committee”, 2022-2023
- “Academic Senate Faculty Environment and Employment Committee”, 2021-2022
- “Teaching and Academic Programs Joint Senate/Provost Committee”, 2020-2021
- “At-Large Member, Academic Senate Executive Board”, 2017-2020
- “Member, Academic Senate Faculty Environment & Employment Committee”, 2016-2020
- “Member, USC Dornsife Undergraduate Academic Planning Committee”, 2016-2019
- “Senator, Academic Senate”, 2015-2018
- “President, Dornsife Faculty Council”, 2017-2018
- “Member, Faculty in Residence Recruitment Committee”, 2017-2018
- “Vice President, Dornsife Faculty Council”, 2016-2017
- “Co-Chair, Dornsife Faculty Council Curriculum Caucus”, 2015-2016