Internship with the Garden School Foundation at 24th St Elementary School

Caitlyn McMahan, Spring 2023

Hi, I’m Caitlyn McMahan! I’m a junior majoring in environmental studies and minoring in Spanish, and I have been interning with the Garden School Foundation for my second semester at 24th St. Elementary School. The Garden School foundation is a non-profit organization that works with ten Title I schools in LA to provide garden-based education to children across the city. With their holistic approach to teaching gardening, cooking, and environmental sustainability through “Seed to Table” and “Cafeteria to Compost” programs, along with regular Community Garden Days and school-based free Farmers Markets, both students and the community get involved with gardening. Organizations like GSF help to address health disparities in urban communities by teaching children the importance of proper nutrition and giving them the chance to try new foods and see where their food comes from. Garden education is a critical investment into our future generations, and none of it can be done without a proper garden!

The garden at 24th street is the largest garden in the Garden School Foundation’s program at 1.5 acres, and it’s a special place for many people. We work with people at LAUSD, The Climate Corps, other USC students who visit for other classes, and others who volunteer with organizations who sponsor GSF at community garden days, so there is a lot of camaraderie and opportunities to meet new people. During the week when most of the work is done, the classes of K-5 students go to garden for a lesson every other week. The lessons include tours in the garden to identify plants and pollinators, games to introduce the kids to the life cycles of bugs and flowers, preparing meals to discover the benefits of “eating the rainbow”, and more. We assist with the classes however is needed and we get to interact with the children in a fun and meaningful way. It’s one of my favorite parts of the internship! We also help wi various projects around the garden such as starting and planting seeds, weeding and mulching, creating signs and graphics, sifting compost, and watering plants. There is always something going on and something to do, so we are always ready to work and get our hands dirty. Because this is my second semester doing this internship, I have seen how the garden has transformed from its neglected post-covid state into a productive garden thanks to our efforts, and it is extremely rewarding and exciting to see the fruits of my labor finally blooming. Though the work can sometimes be difficult, I am so happy with the work I’ve done and the connections I’ve made, and I highly recommend volunteering with the Garden School Foundation!

Pictured: me, featuring an exceptionally large pomegranate from the garden