Internship with the California CoastKeeper Alliance

Abby Drood, Spring 2023

Hello! My name is Abby and I’m a senior Environmental Studies student. This semester I interned with the California CoastKeeper Alliance, a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and protecting California’s water resources. Their mission is “to fight for swimmable, fishable, and drinkable waters for all Californians,” and they engage in a wide range of activities to do so, including developing, implementing, and advocating for legislation, engaging in litigation, and educating the public.

As an intern, I have been primarily engaged in conducting legal research and drafting memos pertaining to equity in water rights and waterway access. For instance, in focusing on the racial inequities within California’s water rights system, I conducted research on historical water rights disparities and drafted a memo summarizing important information and potential legal claims CCKA could make to rectify those issues. I also researched topics relating to equitable access to inland water bodies. I wrote a memo synthesizing this research and discussing ways the California State Lands Commission may improve public access to inland waterways in the same way that the California Coastal Commission has a robust coastal access program. Additionally, I have been involved in some policy work, such as listening in on a legislative meeting and learning about water-related policies that CCKA would like to propose.

I really enjoyed my internship with CCKA. I’m passionate about both protecting water resources and ensuring environmental justice, so this internship was an incredible opportunity to learn about both. It also provided me with invaluable experience in the field of environmental law, which I’m interested in pursuing after my undergrad. All in all, I’m grateful for the opportunity I had to learn from experienced professionals in the field.