- Ph.D. , Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1/1972
- B.S. , Trinity College, 1/1967
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1988 –
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1978 – 08/31/1988
- Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1972 – 08/31/1978
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Over 35 years Professor Flood researched synthetic and mechanistic organotransition metal chemistry, in an effort to find new ways in which the reactivity of organic molecules is altered in the coordination sphere of metals, and to better understand the mechanisms of new and known organometallic transformations.
In recent years his interests have turned to chemical education and course development. He is particularly interested in the science education of non-science majors. Introduction to the philosophical bases of the scientific method, issues of environmental chemistry and sources of energy for society are primary areas of emphasis aimed at a broad preparation of informed and critically thinking citizens for the 21st century.
chemical education, environmental chemistry, philosophy of science