Research & Practice Areas
Global economic models and databases
Center, Institute & Lab Affiliations
- Center for Global Trade Analysis, Purdue University, Research Associate
- Center for Risk and Economic Analysis of Terrorism Events, University of Southern California, Research Fellow
- ImpactECON LLC, Partner and Director
Terrie Walmsley is an Assistant Professor in the Practice of Economics in the Department of Economics at the University of Southern California where she teaches International Trade and Trade Policy.
Dr Walmsley has published numerous papers on issues related to trade and migration; as well as developed several models and other tools that are used extensively world-wide to examine global policy issues related to trade and the environment. She has also led a number of research projects for the World Bank, Asian Development Bank, US International Trade Commission, European Commission, OECD, UN Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific, UN Economic Commission for Africa, Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA), the Department for International Development (UK) amongst others. Between 2003 to 2013, Dr Walmsley was the Director of the Center for Global Trade Analysis at Purdue University, where she was responsible for the operations and strategic direction of the Center and the GTAP model and database.
Summary Statement of Research Interests
International Trade, Labor and Migration, Economic Development, Environmental Economics and International Economics
- Khan, M. A., Walmsley, T., Mukhopadhyay, K. (2021). Trade Liberalization and Income Inequality: The Case for Pakistan. Journal of Asian Economics. Vol. 74
- Walmsley, T., Rose, A., Wei, D. (2021). The Impacts of the Coronavirus on the Economy of the United States. Economics of Disasters and Climate Change. Vol. 5, pp. 1-52.
- Walmsley, T., Strutt, A. (2021). A Comparison of Approaches to Modelling Non-Tariff Barriers. Jounral of Global Economic Analysis. Vol. 6 (1)
- Rose, A., Walmsley, T., Wei, D. (2021). Spatial Transmission of the Economic Impacts of COVID-19 through International Trade. Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences. Vol. 14, pp. 169–196.
- Walmsley, T., Rose, A., Wei, D. (2020). Impacts on the U.S. Macroeconomy of Mandatory Business Closures in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Applied Economics Letters. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/13504851.2020.1809626
- Walmsley, T., Minor, P. (2020). US Trade Actions against China: A Supply Chain Perspective. Foreign Trade Review. Vol. 55 (3), pp. 337-371. https://doi.org/10.1177/0015732520920465
- Walmsley, T., Webb, M., Strutt, A., Gibson, J. (2020). Modelling the Impact of Non-Tariff Measures on Supply Chains in ASEAN. World Economy. Vol. 43 (8) https://doi.org/10.1111/twec.12955
- Walmsley, T., Minor, P. (2020). Non-tariff Measures in Applied Trade Models: Demand Shifts and Willingness to Pay. World Economy. Vol. 43 (6), pp. 1499-1520. https://doi.org/10.1111/twec.12890