Dr. Vos holds a Ph.D. in political science and focuses mostly on environmental politics and policy. From 1999 to 2009, he was with the Center for Sustainable Cities at the University of Southern California. He is now a Research Assistant Professor with the Spatial Sciences Institute. His research emphasis is in the area of industrial ecology, including projects on regional materials flow analysis, eco-industrial park planning, lifecycle assessment, and sustainability indicators. He has also published extensively on theories and concepts of sustainability. His co-edited book, Flashpoints in Environmental Policymaking: Controversies in Achieving Sustainability, won the Lynton K. Caldwell Prize from the Section on Technology and Environmental Policy in the American Political Science Association for the best book published between 1995 and 1997 on environmental politics and policy.
- Ph.D. Political Science, University of Southern California, 7/1999
- M.A. Political Science, University of Southern California, 5/1994
- B.A. Study of the City, University of Southern California, 5/1992
Research, Teaching, Practice, and Clinical Appointments
- Assistant Professor (Teaching), University of Southern California, 2015-09-01-
- Adjunct Assistant Professor (Practice), Spatial Sciences Institute, University of Southern California, 2014-09-01-2015-08-14
- Adjunct Assistant Professor of Research, Spatial Sciences Institute, University of Southern California, 2011-09-01-2013-09-01
- Lecturer, University of Southern California, 2011-09-01-2013-09-01
- Research Assistant Professor of Geography, University of Southern California, 2002-06-01-2010-09-01
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate (Center for Sustainable Cities), University of Southern California, 05/01/2000 – 05/01/2002
- Vice President of Research, Clean Agency, 01/2008-01/2014
- Newell, J., Vos, R. O. (2012). Environmental Impact Assessment Review. Elsevier. Vol. 37, pp. 23-36.
- Newell, J., Vos, R. O. (2011). Papering over space and place: Product carbon footprint modeling in the global paper industry. Annals of the Association of American Geographers. Vol. 101 (4), pp. 730-741.
- Vos, R. O. (2007). Defining sustainability: a conceptual orientation. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology/ Wiley Interscience. Vol. 82 (4), pp. 334-339.