Summary Statement of Research Interests
Miller specializes in interpersonal, intrapersonal, and health communication. She has worked on projects funded by the Centers for Disease Control, Annenberg Center, UARP/State of California, and the National Institute of Mental Health. Topics include using fuzzy logic for modeling sexual harassment perceptions and examining factors that affect how at-risk populations process and react to AIDS-related messages, using evolutionary approaches and connectionist models to understand communication processes.
- Miller, L., Read, S. J. (2006). Virtual Sex: Creating environments for reducing risky sex. pp. p. 000-000. Virtual Decisions: Digital simulations for teaching reasoning in the social sciences and humanities/Erlbaum.
- Read, S. J., Miller, L. (2005). Explanatory coherence and goal-based knowledge structures in making dispositional inferences. pp. p. 000-000. Boston, MA: Other Minds/Guilford Press.
- Read, S. J., Miller, L., Appleby, P. R., Nwosu, M., Reynaldo, S. E., Lauren, A., Putcha, A. (2006). Socially Optimized Learning in a Virtual Environment: Reducing Risky Sexual Behavior Among Men Who Have Sex With Men. . Human Communication Research/International Communication Association. Vol. 32 (1), pp. 1-34.
- Yang, Y., Read, S. J., Miller, L. (2006). A taxonomy of situations from Chinese idioms: Goal processes as a central organizing principle. Journal of Research in Personality/NA. Vol. 40, pp. pp. 750-778.
- Read, S. J., Miller, L. (2002). Virtual Personalities: A Neural Network Model of Personality. Personality and Social Psychology Review/Erlbaum. Vol. 6, pp. 357-369.
- Read, S. J., Vanman, E. J., Miller, L. (1997). Connectionism, Parallel Constraint Satisfaction Processes and Gestalt Principles: (Re) Introducing Cognitive Dynamics to Social Psychology. Personality and Social Psychology Review/Erlbaum. Vol. 1, pp. 26-53.
- Zachary, W., LeMentec, J., Miller, L., Read, S. J., Thomas Meyers, G. (2005). Human behavioral representations with realistic personality and cultural characteristics. pp. p. 000-000. proceedings of the Tenth International Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, McLean, VA./NA.
- Zachary, W., LeMentec, J., Read, S. J., Miller, L. (2005). Steps toward a Personality-based Architecture for Cognition. pp. p. 000-000. Proceedings of the Annual Conference on Behavioral Representation in Modeling and Simulation, Los Angeles, CA./NA.