Research & Practice Areas
moral and political philosophy
I was previously a lecturer and then senior lecturer at the University of Manchester (2003-13), and I received a D.Phil from Nuffield College, Oxford (2004). I’ve also held visiting positions at the Australian National University, Princeton University, and Tulane University. I am an associate editor of Philosophy & Public Affairs, an associate editor of Ethics, and an area editor of Pacific Philosophical Quarterly.
- Ph.D. , University of Oxford, 2004
- M.A. , University of British Columbia, 2000
- B.A. , University of British Columbia, 1999
- Quong, J. (2020). The Morality of Defensive Force. Oxford University Press.
- Quong, J. (2011). Liberalism Without Perfection. Oxford University Press.
- Quong, J. (2022). Miller’s Crossing. Political Philosophy Here and Now pp. 65-79.Oxford University Press.
- Quong, J. (2019). In Defense of Functionalism. Political Legitimacy: NOMOS LXI New York University Press.
- Quong, J. (2018). Consequentialism, Deontology, Contractualism, and Equality. The Oxford Handbook of Distributive Justice pp. 306-326.Oxford University Press.
- Quong, J. (2017). Contractualism. Methods in Analytical Political Theory pp. 65-90.Cambridge University Press.
- Quong, J. (2014). On the Idea of Public Reason. A Companion to Rawls pp. 265-280.Wiley-Blackwell.
- Quong, J. (2012). Rights. The Companion to Social and Political Philosophy pp. 618-628.Routledge.
- Quong, J. (2013). Public Reason. Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy.
- Quong, J. (2023). Fair Equality of Opportunity and the Gendered Division of Labor. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research (forthcoming).
- Quong, J. (2023). Legitimate Injustice: A Response to Wellman. Journal of Political Philosophy (forthcoming).
- Quong, J. (2022). On Flanigan’s Pharmaceutical Freedom. pp. 257-268.HEC Forum. Vol. 34,
- Quong, J. (2022). The Morality of Defensive Force: Replies to Otsuka, Frowe, Fabre, and Burri. pp. 555-574.Criminal Law and Philosophy. Vol. 16,
- Quong, J. (2021). On Laborde’s Liberalism. pp. 47-59.Criminal Law and Philosophy. Vol. 15,
- Quong, J. (2017). A Comment on Ripstein’s Reclamation. pp. 32-37.Journal of Applied Philosophy. Vol. 34,
- Quong, J. (2016). Agent-Relative Prerogatives to Do Harm. Criminal Law and Philosophy.
- Quong, J. (2016). Disagreement, Equality, and the Exclusion of Ideals: A Comment on The Morality of Freedom. pp. 135-146.Jerusalem Review of Legal Studies. Vol. 14,
- Quong, J., Stone, R. (2015). Rules and Rights. pp. 222-249.Oxford Studies in Political Philosophy. Vol. 1,
- Quong, J. (2015). Rights Against Harm. 1 pp. 249-266.Proceeding of the Aristotelian Society, Supplementary Volume. Vol. 89 (1),
- Quong, J. (2015). Proportionality, Liability, and Defensive Harm. pp. 144-173.Philosophy & Public Affairs.
- Quong, J. (2015). Equality, Responsibility, and Culture: A Comment on Alan Patten’s Equal Recognition. pp. 157-168.Les Ateliers de l’Éthique. Vol. 10,
- Quong, J. (2014). Liberalism Without Perfection: Replies to Lister, Kulenovic, Zoffoli, Zelic, and Baccarini. pp. 96-122.Philosophy and Society. Vol. 25,
- Quong, J. (2014). What is the Point of Public Reason?. pp. 545-533.Philosophical Studies. Vol. 170,
- Quong, J. (2012). Liability to Defensive Harm. pp. 45-77.Philosophy & Public Affairs. Vol. 40,
- Quong, J., Firth, J. M. (2012). Necessity, Moral Liability, and Defensive Harm. pp. 673-701.Law and Philosophy. Vol. 31,
- Quong, J. (2012). Liberalism Without Perfection: Replies to Gaus, Colburn, Chan, and Bocchiola. pp. 51-79.Philosophy & Public Issues. Vol. 2,
- Quong, J. (2011). Left-Libertarianism: Rawlsian not Luck Egalitarian. pp. 64-89.Journal of Political Philosophy. Vol. 19,
- Quong, J. (2010). Justice Beyond Equality. pp. 315-340.Social Theory and Practice. Vol. 36,
- Quong, J. (2010). The Distribution of Authority. pp. 35-52.Representation. Vol. 46,
- Quong, J. (2009). Killing in Self-Defense. pp. 507-537.Ethics. Vol. 111,
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Ethics”, 2018 –
- Editorial Board, Journal of Political Philosophy”, 2017 –
- Subject Area Co-Editor (Social and Political), Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy”, 2017 –
- Associate Editor, Philosophy & Public Affairs”, 2016 –
- Editorial Board, Law and Philosophy”, 2014 –
- Area Editor, Pacific Philosophical Quarterly”, 2013 –
- Advisory Board, Oxford Studies in Political Philosophy”, 2012 –
- Editorial Board, Bloomsbury Research in Political Philosophy”, 2011 –
- Advisory Board, Social Theory and Practice”, 2013 – 2018
- Associate Editor, Politics, Philosophy & Economics”, 2010 – 2018
- Associate Editor, Australasian Journal of Philosophy”, 2011 – 2016
- Associate Editor, Representation: The Journal of Representative Democracy”, 2008 – 2014