Jo Ann Farver
- Ph.D. , University of California, Los Angeles, 1989
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/2010 –
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1997 – 08/30/2010
- Assistant Professor, University of Southern California, 09/01/1991 – 08/01/1997
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Farver’s research and teaching specialties are in the area of development psychology with a focus on children’s socio-emotional development in the context of the immigrant experience for families and their adjustment to a mainstream culture. Professor Farver’s current research cross-cultural projects include: “affluenza” in Hong Kong; a cyberbullying/cyberbystander project also in Hong Kong, and a study of immigrant families and their adolescent children in California’s central valley.
Contracts and Grants Awarded
- Promoting School Readiness Skills of Spanish-speaking English Language Learners, (NICHD), JoAnn M. Farver $2,771,619, 2008-2015
- Intergenerational Transmission of Alcohol Involvement, (NIH), Luczak, S. $3,382,397, 2008-2014
- Development of a Comprehensive Assessment System for Spanish-Speaking English-Language Learners’, (US Department of Education IES), JoAnn M. Farver $1,712,848, 2008-2013
- Enhancing Literacy Outcomes For Young Children, (National Science Foundation), Farver, JoAnn Marie $6,212,993, 2001-2010
- Bornstein, M. H., Bradley, R., Chen, X., Farver, J. M., Gold, S., Hernandez, D. J., Phalet, K., Spielt, C., Suarez-Orozco, C., R. van de Vijver, A. J., Yoshikawa, H., Bernard, J. (2012). Psychological acculturation: Perspectives, principles, processes, and prospects.. The International Handbook of Migration Studies New York: Routledge.
- Lonigan, C. J., Farver, J. M., Nakamoto, J., Eppe, S. (2012). Developmental trajectories of preschool early literacy skills: A comparison of English-language learners and monolingual English-speakers. Developmental Psychology.
- Farver, J. M., Xu, Y., Lonigan, C. J. (2012). Home Environments and Latino Preschoolers’ Early Literacy Skills. Developmental Psychology.
- Lonigan, C. J., Farver, J. M., Phillips, B., Clancy-Menchetti, J. (2011). Promoting the Development of Preschool Children’s Emergent Literacy Skills: A Randomized Evaluation of a Literacy-Focused Curriculum and Two Professional Development Models. 24 pp. 305-337.Reading and Writing Quarterly: An interdisciplinary journal.
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M. (2010). Child Sexual Abuse and Maltreatment in Lebanon During War and Peace.. pp. 361-368.Child: Care, Health and Development. Vol. 36,
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M., Zhang, Z. (2009). Temperament, harsh and indulgent parenting, and Chinese children’s proactive and reactive aggression. pp. 244-258.Child Development. Vol. 80,
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M. (2009). What makes you shy? Situational elicitors of shyness in Chinese children.. pp. 97-104.International Journal of Behavioral Development. Vol. 33,
- Farver, J. M., Lonigan, C. J., Eppe, S. (2009). Effective Early Literacy Skill Development for Young Spanish-Speaking English Language Learners: An Experimental Study of Two Methods. pp. 703-719.Child Development. Vol. 80,
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M., Yu, L., Zhang, Z. (2009). Three Types of Shyness in Chinese Children and the Relation to Effortful Control. pp. 1061-1073..Journal of Social and Personality Psychology. Vol. 97,
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M. (2008). Women, war and violence: Surviving the Lebanese experience. pp. 1-12.Journal of Women’s Health. Vol. 17,
- Xu, Y., Farver, J. M., Yang, Y., Zeng, Q. (2008). Chinese children’s conception of shyness: A prototype approach.. pp. 515-544.Merrill-Palmer Quarterly. Vol. 54,
- Usta, J., Farver, J. M. (2007). Domestic Violence: The Lebanese experience. pp. 208-219.Public Health. Vol. 121,
- Mellon Award for Excellence in Mentoring, 2006/04
- Mellon Award for Excellence in Mentoring, 2005/04
- The highest homor the university faculty bedtows on its members for outstanding teaching, 2012