Research & Practice Areas
Environmental bioinorganic chemistry
- Ph.D. Chemical Oceanography, University of Miami, 1986
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Otago, 1981
- Postdoctoral Scholar, Woods Hole Oceanographic institution, 12/1986-12/1988
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Geochemistry of the oceans, Speciation and redox chemistry of trace elements in natural waters, with emphasis on transport processes and catalytic processes.
Metal -phytoplankton interactions; characterization of biologically produced chelators
Effects of protozoans on chemical fate
Bacterially mediated metal precipitation reactions
- Jacquot, J. E., Horak, R. E., Amin, S. A., et, a. (2014). Assessment of the potential for copper limitation of ammonia oxidation by Archaea in a dynamic estuary Mar. pp. 37-49.Chem. Vol. 162,
- Vedamati, J., Goepfert, T., Moffett, J. W. (2014). Iron speciation in the Eastern Tropical South Pacific oxygen minimum zone off of Peru. Limnol. Oceanogr.
- Qin, W., Urakawa, H., Amin, S. A., Martens-Habbena, W., Devol, A., Walker, C. B., Moffett, J. W., Armbrust, E. V., Ingalls, A. E. (2014). Novel isolates of marine ammonia-oxidizing archaea display obligate mixotrophy and wide ecotypic variation.. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci.
- Jacquot, J. E., Kondo, Y., Knapp, A. N., Moffett, J. W. (2013). The speciation of copper across active gradients in nitrogen-cycle processes in the eastern tropical South Pacific. 4 pp. 1387-1394, doi:10.4319/lo.2013.58.4.1387.Limnol. Oceanogr.. Vol. 58 (4),
- Amin, S. A., Moffett, J. W., Martens-Habbena, W., Jacquot, J. E., Han, Y., Devol, A., Ingalls, A. E., Stahl, D. A., Armbrust, E. V. (2013). Copper requirements of the ammonia-oxidizing archaeon Nitrosopumilus maritimus SCM1 and implications for nitrification in the marine environment. pp. 58, 2037-2045.Limnol. and Oceanogr..
- Kondo, Y., Moffett, J. W., Nishioka, J. (2013). Dissolved Fe(II) in the Arabian Sea oxygen minimum zone and western tropical Indian Ocean during the inter-monsoon period Deep Sea Res. pp. 73–83.Part 1. Vol. 73,
- Horak, R. A., Qin, W., Schauer, A. J., et, a. (2013). Ammonia oxidation kinetics and temperature sensitivity of a natural marine community dominated by Archaea. 10 pp. 2023-2033.ISME Journ. Vol. 7 (10),
- Kondo, Y., Moffett, J. W. (2013). Dissolved Fe(II) in the Arabian Sea oxygen minimum zone and western tropical Indian Ocean during the inter-monsoon period. pp. 73 : 73-83.Deep Sea Res. Vol. Part 1,
- Moffett, J. W., Tuit, C. B., Ward, B. B. (2012). Chelator-induced inhibition of Cu metalloenzymes in denitrifying bacteria Limnol. 1 pp. 272-280.OceanogrLimnol. Oceanogr. Vol. 57 (1),
- Naqvi, S., Moffett, J. W., Gauns, M. (2010). The Arabian Sea as a high-nutrient, low-chlorophyll region during the late Southwest Monsoon. 7 pp. 2091-2100..Biogeosciences. Vol. 7 (7),
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Marine Chemistry”, 2010-2011