Research & Practice Areas
Industrial Organization, Antitrust & Competition Policy, Auction Theory, Microeconomic Theory
Center, Institute & Lab Affiliations
- Institute for Economic Policy Research,
- Research Center for Competition Economics and Anti-Monopoly Law,
- US-China Institute,
- Ph.D. Industrial Organization, Microeconomic Theory, California Institute of Technology, 6/1990
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor of Economics, University of Southern California, 07/01/2003 –
- Associate Professor of Economics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 07/01/1996 – 06/30/2003
- Associate Professor of Economics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 07/01/1996 – 06/30/1999
- Assistant Professor of Economics, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 07/01/1990 – 06/30/1996
- T.C. MacDonald Chair in Industrial Economics, Competition Bureau, Ottawa, Canada, 07/01/2000-06/30/2001
(1) antitrust economics: merger review and simulations, abuse of dominance, conditional pricing practices;
(2) economics of networks and multi-sided platform markets;
(3) business strategy and industrial organization;
(4) competitive bidding in auction markets;
(4) microeconomic theory
Detailed Statement of Research Interests
1. Modeling business strategies in the markets for music streaming, video streaming, video-game live broadcasting and short-video, and analyzing the impact of ad-blocking and regulatory policies in those markets
2. Investigating the welfare impact of nonlinear pricing (including all-units discounts, quantity-forcing, market share contracts) with asymmetric competition between a dominant firm and small rivals and deriving antitrust implications of those practices
3. Studying competitive two-part tariffs between asymmetric firms (and business models of membership subscription)
4. Studying business models of platform firms in multi-sided markets including mergers, ecosystems, and possible abuse of dominance
5. Evaluating the effects of mergers and joint ventures in transborder airline markets
6. Analyzing the economics of technology standard setting and patent royalty
- Lu, D., Tan, G. (2013). Resale Price Maintenance and the Anti-Monopoly Law. China’s Anti-monopoly Law: The First Five Years pp. 119-135.
- Tan, G. (2010). Recent Development in Industrial Organization: A Selective Review. Industrial Organization in Canada pp. p.64-107. Montreal & Kingston: McGill-Queen’s University Press.
- Tan, G. (2002). Auction Theory. pp. 267-330. Research Frontier in Economics and Finance/Commercial Affair Press, Beijing.
- Cheng, L., Qiu, L., Tan, G. (2000). “Foreign Direct Investment and International Fragmentation of Production” In Fragmentation: New Production Patterns in the World Economy,edited by Sven Arndt and Henryk Kierzkowski. Oxford University Press.
- Qin, C., Tan, G., Wong, A. (2023). On the Iterated Nash Bargaining Solutions. The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics.
- Fu, X., Tan, G., Wang, J. (2023). Policy Orientations and Technology Choices in Standard Wars. International Journal of Industrial Organization.
- Chao, Y., Tan, G., Wong, A. (2022). Optimal Nonlinear Pricing by A Dominant Firm under Competition. American Economic Journal: Microeconomics.
- Tan, G., Zhang, Y. (2022). The Competitive Effects of Joint Ventures in the International Airline Industry. Transportation Research Record.
- Carrillo, J., Tan, G. (2021). Platform Competition with Complementary Products. International Journal of Industrial Organization. Vol. 77
- Tan, G., Zhou, J. (2021). The Effects of Competition and Entry in Multi-sided Markets. Review of Economic Studies. Vol. 88, pp. 1002-1030.
- Chao, Y., Tan, G., Wong, A. (2019). Asymmetry in Capacity and the Adoption of All-Units Discounts. International Journal of Industrial Organization. Vol. 65, pp. 152-172.
- Qin, C., Tan, G., Wong, A. (2019). Implementation of Nash Bargaining Solutions with Non-Convexity. Economics Letters. Vol. 178, pp. 46-49.
- Fu, X., Tan, G. (2019). Abuse of Dominance under China’s Anti-Monopoly Law: The Case of Tetra Pak. Review of Industrial Organization. Vol. 54 (2), pp. 409-434.
- Chao, Y., Tan, G., Wong, A. (2018). All-Units Discounts as a Partial Foreclosure Device. RAND Journal of Economics. Vol. 49 (1), pp. 155-180.
- Cao, X., Tan, G., Tian, G., Yilankaya, O. (2018). Equilibria in Second-Price Auctions with Private Participation Costs and Values. Economic Theory. Vol. 65, pp. 231-249.
- Chao, Y., Tan, G. (2017). All-Units Discounts: Leverage and Partial Foreclosure in Single-Product Markets. Canadian Competition Law Review. Vol. 30 (Spring), pp. 92-110.
- Li, H., Tan, G. (2017). Hidden Reserve Prices with Risk Averse Buyers. Frontier Economics in China. Vol. 12 (3), pp. 341-370.
- Ju, H., Tan, G. (2016). Bilateral Market Structure and Regulatory Policies in International Telephone Markets. International Economic Review. Vol. 57 (2), pp. 393-423.
- Qin, C., Shi, S., Tan, G. (2015). Nash Bargaining with Log-convexity. Economic Theory. Vol. 58, pp. 413-440.
- Lu, D., Tan, G. (2013). Economics and Private Antitrust Litigation in China. Competition Policy International. Vol. 9 (spring), pp. 123-152.
- Tan, G., Shan, P., Wilkie, S., Williams, M. (2012). China’s Anti-Monopoly Law: What is the Welfare Standard?. Review of Industrial Organization. Vol. 41, pp. 31-52.
- Tan, G., Wang, R. (2010). Coalition Formation in the Presence of Continuing Conflict. International Journal of Game Theory. Vol. 39, pp. 273-299.
- Cheng, H., Tan, G. (2010). Asymmetric Common-Value Auctions with Applications to Private-Value Auctions with Resale. Economic Theory. Vol. 45 (1-2), pp. 253-290.
- Hendricks, K., Porter, R., Tan, G. (2008). Bidding Rings and the Winner’s Curse. RAND Journal of Economics. Vol. 39 (4), pp. 1018-1041.
- Tan, G., Ylankaya, O. (2007). Rafifiability of Efficient Collusive Mechanisms in Second-Price Auctions with Participation Costs. Games and Economic Behavior. Vol. 59, pp. 383-396.
- Tan, G., Yilankaya, O. (2006). Equilibria in Second-price Auctions with Participation Costs. Journal of Economic Theory. Vol. 130, pp. 205-219.
- Pinkse, J., Tan, G. (2005). The Affiliaton Effect in First-Price Auctions. Econometrica. Vol. 73 (1), pp. 263-277.
- Chew, S., Tan, G. (2005). The Market for Sweepstakes. Review of Economic Studies. Vol. 72, pp. 1009-1027.
- Niou, E., Tan, G. (2005). External Threat and Collective Action. Economic Inquiry. Vol. 43, pp. 519-530.
- Cheng, L., Qiu, L., Tan, G. (2005). Foreign Direct Investment and International Trade in a Continuum Ricardian Model. Journal of Development Economics. Vol. 77 (2), pp. 477-501.
- Tan, G. (2004). The Economic Theory of Vertical Restraints. Review of Industrial Economics. Vol. 3 (2), pp. 1-23.
- Tan, G., Yuan, L. (2003). Strategic Incentives of Divestitures of Competing Conglomerates. International Journal of Industrial Organization. Vol. 21 (5), pp. 673-697.
- Hendricks, K., Piccione, M., Tan, G. (1999). Equilibria in Networks. Econometrica. Vol. 67 (6), pp. 1407-1434.
- Lin, J., Tan, G. (1999). Accountability, Viability, and Soft Budget Constraint. American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings. Vol. 89 (2), pp. 1407-1434.
- Hendricks, K., Piccione, M., Tan, G. (1997). Entry and Exit in Hub-Spoke Networks. RAND Journal of Economics. Vol. 28 (2), pp. 291-303.
- Piccione, M., Tan, G. (1996). A Simple Model of Expert and Non-Expert Bidding in First-Price Auctions. Journal of Economic Theory. Vol. 70, pp. 501-515.
- Piccione, M., Tan, G. (1996). Cost-Reducing Investment, Optimal Procurement and Implementation by Auctions. International Economic Review. Vol. 37 (3), pp. 663-685.
- Tan, G. (1996). Optimal Procurement Mechanisms for an Informed Buyer. Canadian Journal of Economics. Vol. XXIX (3), pp. 699-716.
- Bossert, W., Tan, G. (1995). An Arbitration Game and the Egalitarian Solution. Social Choice and Welfare. Vol. 12 (1), pp. 29-41.
- Hendricks, K., Piccione, M., Tan, G. (1995). The Economics of Hubs: The Case of Monopoly. Review of Economic Studies. Vol. 62 (January), pp. 83-99.
- Niou, E., Tan, G. (1994). An Analysis of Dr. Sun Yat-Sen’s Self-Assessment Scheme for Land Taxation. Public Choice. Vol. 78, pp. 103-114.
- Hendricks, K., Porter, R., Tan, G. (1993). Optimal Selling Strategies for Oil and Gas Leases with an Informed Buyer. American Economic Review, Papers and Proceedings. Vol. 83 (2), pp. 234-239.
- Tan, G. (1992). Entry and R&D Costs in Procurement Contracting. Journal of Economic Theory. Vol. 68 (October), pp. 41-60.
- Niou, E., Ordeshook, P., Tan, G. (1992). Taiwanese Investment in Mainland China as a Policy Tool. Issues & Studies. Vol. 28 (August), pp. 14-31.
- Tamayo, J., Tan, G. (2021). Competitive Two-part Tariffs.
- Tan, G., Wong, A.Exclusivity and Market Share Contracts by a Dominant Firm.
- Fu, X., Tan, G.Competitive Effects of International Airline Cooperative Agreements.
- Tan, G., Xu, R.Competition in Freemium and the Impact of Ad-Avoidance Technologies in the Market for Video Streaming.
- Tan, G., Zhou, J. (2022). Consumer Heterogeneity and Inefficiency in Oligopoly Markets.