Research & Practice Areas
spin-mometum locking in topological insulators
Tenure Track Appointments
- Professor, University of Southern California, 01/02/1986 – 10/08/2008
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Dr. Bergmann works in the area of solid state physics. He investigates the properties of nanostructures, ferromagnetic nanotubes, the pseudo-spin and magnetic moment in graphene, develops theoretical models for tunneling between topological insulators and ferromagnetic film. Furthermore he investigates theoretically ground state of the Kondo effect. Recently his research included the bound state between a magnetic monopoles and its anti-particle, and the question whether a particle with negative mass violates the generalized second law of thermodynamics for black holes.
- “Numerical Calculation of the Kondo Cloud” , March meeting of APS 2008Talk/Oral Presentation, American Physical Society, New Orleans, 2007-2008
- “The Friedel-Anderson Impurity with Orbital Degeneracy” , March meeting of APS, 2008Poster, American Physical Society, New Orleans, 2007-2008
- “The Mysterious Beauty of the Kondo Effect”, seminar, , 2008-2009
- “The Mysterious Beauty of the Kondo Effect “, colloquium, , 2008-2009
- Bergmann, G. (2012). A Compact Treatment of Singular Impurities Using the Artificial Friedel Resonance (FAIR) Method. (Vol. 25) pp. 609. J. Supercond. Nov. Magn..
- Bergmann, G. (2010). Weak Localization and Its Applications as an Experimental Tool. 50 Years Anderson Localization pp. p 231. World Scientific.
- Bergmann, G.Dual Interpretation of the Pseudo-Spin of Electrons in Graphene.
- Bergmann, G., Thompson, R., Lu, J. G. (2015). Inertial spin alignment in a circular magnetic nanotube. Physics Letters A.
- Bergmann, G. (2014). The Inner Life of the Kondo Ground State: An Answer to Kenneth Wilson’s Question. arxiv.
- Bergmann, G. (2013). Phase Shift of the asymmetric Friedel-Anderson Impurity. J. Low Temp. Phys.. Vol. 171, pp. 120.
- Bergmann, G., Thompson, R. S. (2011). Numerical Calculation of the Fidelity for the Kondo and the Friedel-Anderson Impurities. Eur. Phys. J. B. Vol. 84, pp. 273.
- Bergmann, G., Tao, Y. (2011). Friedel Oscillation about a Friedel-Anderson Impurity. Eur. Phys. J. B.
- Bergmann, G., Thompson, R., Zhang, L. (2010). Friedel-Artificially-Inserted-Resonance Magnetic Solution to the Multi-Channel Friedel-Anderson Problem. Phys. Rev. B. Vol. 82, pp. 115119.
- Bergmann, G. (2010). Delta-Interference of Two Friedel Resonances. Eur. Phys. J. B.
- Bergmann, G. (2009). Friedel oscillations of Kondo impurities: A comparison. Phys. Rev. B. Vol. 78, pp. 195124. PubMed Web Address
- Tateishi, G., Bergmann, G. (2009). Nickel on Lead, Magnetically Dead or Alive?. Eur. Phys. J. B. PubMed Web Address
- Bergmann, G., Tao, Y. (2009). Oscillations of the magnetic polarization in a Kondo impurity at finite magnetic fields. Eur. Phys. J. B. Vol. 73, pp. 95.
- Bergmann, G. (2008). Quantitative Calculation of the Spatial Extension of the Kondo Cloud. Phys.Rev. B. Vol. 77, pp. 104401.
- Bergmann, G. (2007). Electron-Phonon Mass Enhancement in Multi-Layers. Phys.Rev. B. Vol. 75, pp. 195427.
- Physics Prize of the Academy of Goettingen, 1979-1980