Born in New York, NY and raised also in Munich, Germany, and Sweden. Received B.A and M.A. in German literature from the University of Cincinnati, and the Ph.D. also in German literature from Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tn.
Member of the American Association of Teachers of German, Member of the Villa Aurora, and Member of Alpha Mu Gamma, Foreign Language Society.
- Ph.D. German, Vanderbilt University, 8/1974
- M.A. German, University of Cincinnati, 6/1970
Tenure Track Appointments
- Assistant Professor (Teaching), USC, Fall 2014
Research, Teaching, Practice, and Clinical Appointments
- Assistant Professor (Teaching) of German, University of Southern California, 2011-08-16-
- Assistant Professor (Teaching) of German, USC,
- Lecturer of German, University of Southern California, 2010-09-2011-08
- Lecturer, USC,
- Lecturer, USC,
- Assistant Professor, University of Maryland College Park, 09/01/1976-09/01/1978
Summary Statement of Research Interests
I have been teaching German for many years and it only gets more interesting. I love the interaction with the students and the endeavor to teach them this language is truly a great joy. Exposing them to this exciting language and culture has been very rewarding and always encouraging. I do my best in making the class full of fun and laughter and, of course, I hope to see you in one of them! Also, my active work and participation with post World War II and Exile Literature continues. Sign up and join us!!!
Contracts and Grants Awarded
- Learning Enviornments Grant, (USC Center on Scholarly Technology), Lee Eve $1,500, 2012-2013
Gifts and Endowments
- Course Development , (Dornsife College) $500, 2013-CONT
- On the acknowledgement page xxi acknowledged as a contributor to the 7th edition of “Kontakte”, the textbook that the USC German Studies Program uses.
- Paper, German – That Extraordinary Second Cousin to English at Los Angeles City College, L.A. CA at the 80th Anniversary of Alpha Mu Gamma Foreign Language Honor Society, 2011
- Chaired Panel, Feuchtwanger Conference in Doheny Library, Panel # 9 on Thomas Mann and Heinrich Mann., 2011
- Paper, The Enchanted Classroom – Alpha Mu Gamma 82nd Convention National Collegiate Foreign Language Honor Society – Elmhurst College, Elmhurt, IL, 2013-2014
- University Sponsored Flight to Salzburg, Austria to attend a Faculty Development Class, 2014-2015
- USC Dornsife NTT Faculty Development Grant, 2013-2014
- Mondays,Tuesdays, Wednesdays : 9:00 -9:50 AM
Other Advisement or Time Devoted to Students
- Work on an individual basis with my music students, helping them with the German pronunciation for their music.
Attend many of their recitals and concerts.
- For several semesters I have escorted my students to a German restaurant in order to expose them to the foods of German-speaking Europe. Through the Breaking bread Program my students have thoroughly enjoyed the outing and always look forward to returning. this happens for each class I teach during the semester.
Other Service to the University
- Initiated the German Studies Program’s German Scrabble and Monopoly tournaments for students.,
- Coordinate student celebration of Friedrich von Schiller’s birth with cake & material from noted German poet, playwright & author in German II classes.,
- Received university sponsored flight to Salzburg, Austria, in order to attend a 2 week workshop recommended by the AATG (American Association of Teachers of German). , 2014-2015
- Appointed by the Provost’s Office to be a member of the “Work and Family Life Committee”.,
- University sponsored attendance of the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages Conference in Philadelphia, PA 11/2012, 2011-2012
- American Association of University Professors, 2009 –
- Feuchtwanger Society, 2009 –
- Villa Aurora, 2008 –
- Alpha Mu Gamma, 1973 –
- Delta Phi Alpha, 1968 –
- American Association of Teachers of German, 2010-2011
Media, Alumni, and Community Relations
- Featured in the Madison’s Who’s Who,
Other Service to the Profession
- Received from ACTFL (American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages) the WPT (Writing Proficiency Testing) for the German Language. Qualified to test students’ writing of the German Language., 2014-2015
- Speaker at the Teaching with Technology Conference – USC Davidson Conference Center, 2012-2013
- Limited Certification for German – American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages., 2011-2013
- On the acknowledgement page xxi acknowledged as a contributor to the 7th edition of “Kontakte”, the textbook that the USC German Studies Program uses. Kontakte, 7th Edition, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, USA , 2011-2012
- Chaired a panel at the Feuchtwanger Conference in Doheny Library this past September, Panel 9 on Thomas Mann and Heinrich Mann., 2011-2012
- Read a paper on the structure and grammar of the German language at the Alpha Mu Gamma, an Honorary Foreign Language Society’s 80th anniversary celebration at Los Angeles City College, 2011-2012
- In volumes II and III of “Guide to the Archival Materials of the German-speaking Emigration to the United States after 1933”, my interviews and work is published 5 times in volume II and 117 times in volume III, reprinted in 2006. , 1994-2007