David Zarazúa is an Associate Professor (Teaching) of Spanish at the Department of Latin American and Iberian Cultures. He earned his B.A. in English at the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey in Mexico; his M.A. in Spanish at New Mexico State University; and his Ph.D. in Spanish at USC. David joined USC as fulltime faculty in 2003. Prior to joining USC, he conducted research on discourse analysis at New Mexico State University and he also worked in software development as a Spanish analyst. His main area of interest is the treaching of medical Spanish in academic and healthcare settings. David teaches basic, intermediate, and advanced Spanish courses at LAIC and medical Spanish courses at the Keck School of Medicine of USC. He is the advisor of the USC student organizations Global Medical Brigades and the Community Health Involvment Project (CHIP) and is an active member of the Southern California Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
- Ph.D. Spanish, University of Southern California, 7/2003
- M.A. Spanish, New Mexico State University, 8/1995
- B.A. English, Instituto Tecológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, 5/1993
Research, Teaching, Practice, and Clinical Appointments
- Associate Professor of Teaching, University of Southern California, Spring 2017
- Part-Time Lecturer, Program Director, Keck School of Medicine at USC, 2004-08-16-
- YouTube as a New Tool for the Students to Demonstrate Their Presentational Abilities , Modern and Classical Language Association of Southern California Fall ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, Modern and Classical Language Association of South, Invited, North Hills, CA, 10/22/2011 –
- Objectives → Class Activities → Testing: Changing Directions in the Planning of the Spanish 220 Course , Spanish and Portuguese Language Program Fall 2011 OrientationTalk/Oral Presentation, USC Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Invited, Los Anteles, CA, 08/17/2011 –
- Two perspectives on the use of YouTube as a tool to present and share class projects (With Samantha Yerks) , Video, Rich Media, and Classroom InteractivityTalk/Oral Presentation, TEL:CST Faculty Forum Series, Invited, Los Angeles, CA, 09/17/2010 –
- Google Docs en el aula: Nuevas herramientas para promover la comunicación , AATSP 92 Annual ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Po, Guadalajara, Mexico, 07/10/2010 –
- YouTube as a new tool for students to present and share class projects , New Media Consortium 2010 ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, New Media Consortium, Univ. of Southern Cal., Invited, Anaheim, CA, 06/11/2010 –
- Interacción inicial con pacientes en las Global Medical Brigades Workshop, Global Medical Brigades, Invited, Los Angeles, CA, 03/03/2009
- Mondays : 10:00-12:00, Office hour at the “Consultorio”; opened to any student of the Spanish and Portuguese Language Program.
- Tuesdays and Thusdays : 1:00-2:00, And by appointment.
- Modern and Classical Languages Association of Southern California, 10/14/2011 –
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese, 10/2004 –
- Linguistic Association of the Southwest, 07/2002 –
- Modern Language Association, 06/2002 –