David Zarazúa is a Full-Time Lecturer in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. He earned his Bachelor of Arts in English at the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey in Mexico; his Master in Spanish at New Mexico State University; and his Ph.D. in Spanish at USC. David joined USC as a graduate student in 1995. Prior to joining USC, he taught Spanish and conducted research on discourse analysis at New Mexico State University; he also worked in the private sector as a Spanish analyst for the software developer Language Systems Inc. His main area of interest is the use of technology in the language classroom. This field has acquired greater importance in the last decade because it can enhance the students’ experience in the classroom, improve the outcomes that can be obtained when learning a language, and prepare the students for a future in which they can analyze and express themselves using new media. David teaches basic Spanish courses and “Spanish for Business Communication” at the Department of Spanish and Portuguese; and Medical Spanish courses at the Keck School of Medicine. He is the advisor of the USC student organization Global Medical Brigades and is the vice-president of the Southern California Chapter of the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese.
- Ph.D. Spanish, University of Southern California, 7/2003
- M.A. Spanish, New Mexico State University, 8/1995
- B.A. English, Instituto Tecológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, 5/1993
Research, Teaching, Practice, and Clinical Appointments
- Associate Professor of Teaching, University of Southern California, –
- Part-Time Lecturer, Program Director, Keck School of Medicine at USC, 2004-08-16-
- “YouTube as a New Tool for the Students to Demonstrate Their Presentational Abilities” , Modern and Classical Language Association of Southern California Fall ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, Modern and Classical Language Association of South, Invited, North Hills, CA,
- “Objectives → Class Activities → Testing: Changing Directions in the Planning of the Spanish 220 Course” , Spanish and Portuguese Language Program Fall 2011 OrientationTalk/Oral Presentation, USC Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Invited, Los Anteles, CA,
- “Two perspectives on the use of YouTube as a tool to present and share class projects (With Samantha Yerks)” , Video, Rich Media, and Classroom InteractivityTalk/Oral Presentation, TEL:CST Faculty Forum Series, Invited, Los Angeles, CA,
- “Google Docs en el aula: Nuevas herramientas para promover la comunicación” , AATSP 92 Annual ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Po, Guadalajara, Mexico,
- “YouTube as a new tool for students to present and share class projects” , New Media Consortium 2010 ConferenceTalk/Oral Presentation, New Media Consortium, Univ. of Southern Cal., Invited, Anaheim, CA,
- “Interacción inicial con pacientes en las Global Medical Brigades ” Workshop, Global Medical Brigades, Invited, Los Angeles, CA,
- (Spring 2023) SPAN 120. Spanish I, MTThF 10:00am – 10:50am,
- (Spring 2023) SPAN 120. Spanish I, MTThF 11:00am – 11:50am,
- (Spring 2023) SPAN 220. Spanish III, MTThF 12:00pm – 12:50pm,
- Mondays : 10:00-12:00, Office hour at the “Consultorio”; opened to any student of the Spanish and Portuguese Language Program.
- Tuesdays and Thusdays : 1:00-2:00, And by appointment.