- Ph.D. Psychology, University of Minnesota, 1/1974
- B.A. Psychology and Computer Science, University of Maryland College Park
Tenure Track Appointments
- Associate Professor, Developmental Aging and Experimental Psychology, University of Southern California, 01/01/1981 –
- Assistant Professor, Developmental Aging and Experimental Psychology, University of Southern California, 01/01/1975 – 01/01/1980
- Lecturer, Statistical Methods and Cognitive Psychology, University of Southern California, 01/01/1974 – 01/01/1975
- Lecturer, Statistical Methods and Psychology of Language, Loyola University of Los Angeles, 01/01/1974
- Lecturer, The Psychology of Language, University of Minnesota, 01/01/1973
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Walsh’s research interests have spanned a variety of topics in the cognitive psychology of adult development and aging. His current research focuses on the adult development of problem solving and decision-making abilities. A second focus of Professor Walsh’s work has been the examination of motivational aspects of decision making in personally consequential areas, such as health, occupation, and finance. He is also investigating the psychological foundation of beliefs, in an effort to identify the empirical, social, and personal basis for why people believe the things they do.
- Ong, A. D., Horn, J. L., Walsh, D. A. (2007). Stepping into the light: Modeling the intraindividual dimensions of hedonic and eudaeominic well-being. pp. 12-25. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Walsh, D. A. (2009). Encylopedia of Medical Decision Making: Attention Limits. (M. Kattan, Ed.).36-37. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Brougham, R. R., Walsh, D. A. (2009). Early and late retirement exits. International Journal of Aging & Human Development. Vol. 69, pp. 267-286.
- Brougham, R. R., Walsh, D. A. (2007). Image theory, goal incompatibility, and retirement intentent. International Journal of Aging & Human Development. Vol. 65, pp. 203-229.
- Brougham, R. R., Walsh, D. A. (2005). Goal expectations as predictors of retirement intentions. International Journal of Aging & Human Development. Vol. 61, pp. p.141-160.
- Walsh, D. A. (2001). Nicotine addiction, depression, and the moderating role of goal cognitions. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors. (15), pp. 252-254.
- Hershey, D. A., Walsh, D. A. (2001). Knowledge versus experience in financial problem solving performance. Current Psychology. Vol. 19, pp. 261-291.
- Chulef, A., Read, S. J., Walsh, D. A. (2001). A Hierarchical Taxonomy of Human Goals. Motivation and Emotion. Vol. 25, pp. 191-232.