- M.F.A. Creative Writing, Indiana University, 5/2000
- B.A. Print Journalism, University of Southern California, 5/1990
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Professor Johnson’s short story collection, Break Any Woman Down, was awarded the Flannery O’Connor Award for Short Fiction. Her interests include ethnic-American literature, gender and race studies, and issues of class.
- Finalist, Hurston/Wright Foundation Award, 2002-2003
- Finalist, Patterson Fiction Prize, 2002-2003
- Special Mention, Pushcart Prize for short story “Melvin in the Sixth Grade”, 2002-2003
- Flannery O’Connor Award for Short Fiction, 2000-2001