Carolina Castillo Larrea
Carolina holds a Ph.D. in Spanish Language and Literature from Boston University. She began her teaching career at Wellesley College, where she first discovered her passion for teaching Spanish to foreign speakers. She also taught Spanish courses at Boston University, obtaining for three consecutive years the Annual Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Carolina has been a member of the Trojan family since 2011. At USC she has taught courses in Iberian and Latinoamerican Literatures, Spanish Language, and a Reading for Knowledge seminar for graduate students. She has also participated in the Valencia Study Abroad Program.
Her scholarly interests include teaching methodology, use of technology in the classroom, and Medieval and Renaissance Literatures. She is currently in the process of publishing a critical edition of the epistolary novel Processo de cartas de amores (1548).
- Ph.D. Hispanic Language and Literature, Boston Unversity, 1/2014
- B.A. Filologia Hispanica, Universidad de Cordoba, 6/2006
Research, Teaching, Practice, and Clinical Appointments
- Spanish Lecturer, University of Southern California,
- Teaching Fellow, Boston University, 2008-2011
- Teaching Assistant, Wellesley College, 2006-2007
- Service-Learning in Spanish 220 , AATSP Southern California Chapter. Talk/Oral Presentation, Invited, Pasadena City College., Spring 2014
- ¿Torpeza estilística o audacia narratológica? La función del autor-narrador en la novela sentimental española de los siglos XV-XVI , 65th Annual Kentucky Foreign Language ConferenceLecture/Seminar, Spring 2012
- “García Lorca y Manuel Machado. Visiones del Cante H(J)ondo” , NeMLA Roundtable/Panel, Montreal, Quebec, Spring 2010
- “Avances hacia el futuro en la enseñanza del español: Almodóvar para todos. De cómo incorporar el séptimo arte a la enseñanza del español.” , AATSP 11th Biennial Northeast Regional MeetingTalk/Oral Presentation, Regis College, MA, Fall 2009
- Life and Culture in Spain., USC Study Abroad Valencia Program., 06/16/2012 – 07/13/2012
- SPAN 240 Level Coordinator, 2015-2016
Other Service to the University
- Director of Spanish Brigades, a community outreach program between USC and USC Hybrid High. ,