Karen Holden '09 Presents Project at AGLSP
The MLS alumna discussed "Re: The Los Angeles River: An Urban Exploration" at the conference in Dallas, Texas.
On Oct. 8, 2010, Master of Liberal Studies alumna Karen Holden (’09) gave a presentation at the 2010 AGLSP Conference in Dallas, Texas.
In her presentation “Re: The Los Angeles River: An Urban Exploration,” Karen explored the rich and interesting history of the Los Angeles River, discussed the implications of its decline and revitalization on the urban biology of the region, described recent cross-cultural community efforts to “reclaim” the river (including a major new master plan) and speculated on what a renewed river and riverfront will mean for biological and cultural diversity in Los Angeles and Southern California.
She also questioned the meaning of words like revitalize, restore, reclaim and renew with regard to a reasonable plan of action. Karen based her presentation on work she undertook in LBST 516: Urban Conservation Biology with Professor Travis Longcore.
USC Master of Liberal Studies Program: Where Options Meet Opportunities. Register now for MLS Spring 2011 courses.
Related News Items
- Preserving Antiquity March 27, 2015
- Cultivating Curiosity March 23, 2015
- T.C. Boyle Jukebox March 11, 2015
- Courage, Faith and Service March 9, 2015
- Institute Debuts Directory of Armenian Genocide Commemorations February 25, 2015
- Showcasing Words and Music February 20, 2015
- ‘Housewife to House Speaker’ February 12, 2015
- Changemakers and Trendsetters February 11, 2015
- Life as a ‘Half Immigrant’ February 3, 2015
- An Inside Look at Egypt’s Military May 1, 2014
- They Slayed It July 23, 2013
- MLS Program Awards Mary Roney Scholarship July 12, 2013
- Baby, I Love Your Way May 6, 2013
- USC Dornsife’s Master of Liberal Studies Program Hosts International Symposium July 16, 2012
- MLS Program Awards First Mary Roney Scholarship July 12, 2012
- USC Professors Cadenas and Davies Knighted by France May 10, 2012
- USC Dornsife Alumna Receives 2012 John R. Hubbard Award May 10, 2012
- Eye-Opening Science May 9, 2012
- Up Close and Personal with the Netherlands May 9, 2012
- 'We See Jimmy in Each of You' May 9, 2012