Obituaries Fall 2008
Judge Harrison Hollywood, 77, (B.A., political science, '51) died May 5 of complications from colon cancer. He was a Superior Court judge in San Diego.
During the Korean War, Hollywood served in the U.S. Navy. After his military days, he returned to USC to earn a J.D. and master of laws degree from the Gould School of Law. He worked as a civil trial lawyer before ascending to the bench in 1989, where he served until his 2000 retirement. An enthusiast of dogs and outdoor activities, Hollywood was remembered in the San Diego Union-Tribune as "a dignified, genteel jurist."
Hollywood is survived by his wife, Jackie (B.A., '61); his daughter, Donna; his son, Donald; and his brother, Tom.
James G. Holwerda, 82, (B.A., TK, '49; M.A., TK, '51; Ph.D., geological sciences, '58) died June 23 after a long illness.
A native Angeleno, Holwerda joined the U.S. Navy in 1943, after which he attended USC, where his doctoral thesis examined the ground-water geology of Iraq. He spent the next 40 years working in Taiwan, Iraq, Ethiopia, Australia, Singapore and England for the Ralph M. Parsons Company developing new businesses until his retirement in 1990. He enjoyed playing tennis, snooker and traveling, and was a member of the Elks club. He loved Trojan football.
He is survived by his wife of 52 years, Bunny; his sisters, Jean and Geraldine; his daughter, Tig; and his son, Gary.
Dana R. Taylor, 57, (B.A., comparative literature, '73) died January 7.
Taylor received his 1977 law degree from Lewis and Clark Northwest School of Law in Portland, Ore. A strong annual supporter of USC, he was also a member of the Alumni Board at Lewis and Clark. A litigator at Duffy Kekel, LLC, Taylor was a legal champion of children with special needs.
He is survived by his wife of five years, Cindy; five children; and his parents, brother and sister.
Related News Items
- Double Duty December 21, 2010
- Pass It Forward November 10, 2010
- USC College Magazine's Latest Issue Now Online November 10, 2010
- Taking the Emperor's Reign November 1, 2010
- Social Justice with a Kick November 1, 2010
- Scalpel … Forceps … Recycling November 1, 2010
- Return to Camelot November 1, 2010
- Building Dreams November 1, 2010
- Ambitious, Just Add Water November 1, 2010
- Alumni Bookplate November 1, 2010
- Our Future Is in Their Hands November 1, 2010
- Alternate Realities, One America November 1, 2010
- Keeping Memories Alive November 1, 2010
- Keeping a Promise November 1, 2010
- Getting to the Roots of Evil November 1, 2010
- Gang Therapy November 1, 2010
- For the Love of Giving November 1, 2010
- Faculty Notes November 1, 2010
- Faculty Bookplate November 1, 2010
- Wired for Change November 1, 2010