Michael DawsonProfessor of Psychology
Phone: (213) 740-2294
Office: SGM 903
Michael E. Dawson received his Ph.D. degree in 1967 and he has been a member of the faculty of the Department of Psychology since 1984.
Dr. Dawson's research and teaching specialty is in the area of psychophysiology. He teaches both graduate and undergraduate courses in psychophysiology. He is particularly well known for his important work in the application of psychophysiology to schizophrenia. He also has published widely on psychophysiological measures of conditioning, emotion, and attention. His laboratory is currently involved in studying the psychophysiology and neurophysiology of the learning of emotions.
He was co-author of the book, "Emotions and Bodily Responses", and was co-editor of the book, "Startle Modification: Implications for Neuroscience, Cognitive Science, and Clinical Science".
Dr. Dawson was recipient of two prestigious awards from the National Institutes of Mental Health: (1) Research Scientist Development Award and (2) MERIT Award. He was elected President of the Society for Psychophysiological Research and he also served on the Board of Directors for both the Society for Psychophysiological Research and the Society for Research in Psychopathology.
Dr. Dawson served as Associate Editor of Psychophysiology, the premier journal in the field, and continues to serve as Consulting Editor for many psychological journals. He also is a Charter Member and Fellow of the Association for Psychological Science.
(Additional personal data may be found in Who's Who in the West, Who's Who in California, and American Men and Women of Science: Social and Behavioral Sciences.)
- B.S. , Arizona State University, 1963
- Ph.D. , University of Southern California, 1967
- Professor, University of Southern California, 1987-2008
- Associate Professor, University of Southern California, 1984-1987
- Assistant Professor , California State Univeristy at Los Angeles, 1967-1969
- Adjunct Associate Professor, University of California, Los Angeles, 1979-1984
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Society for Psychophysiological Research, 1981-1984
- NIMH Predoctoral Fellowship, 1966-1967
- Guest Co-Editor, Schizophrenia Bulletin, Fall 1984
- Associate Editor, Psychophysiology, 1980-1983
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Tenure Track Appointments
Non-Tenure Track Appointments
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
Honors and Awards
Service to the Profession
Editorships and Editorial Boards
- Department of Psychology
- University of Southern California
- SGM 501
- 3620 South McClintock Ave.
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-1061
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2203