Peter WestwickAssistant Professor (Research) of History
Phone: (213) 740-1657
Office: SOS 153
- B.A. Physics, UC Berkeley, 1989
- M.A. History, UC Berkeley, 1993
- Ph.D. History, UC Berkeley, 1999
- Assistant Professor (Research), University of Southern California, 2009-
- Huntington Fellow/Lecturer, University of Southern California, 2008-2009
- Visiting Lecturer, University of California, Santa Barbara, 2006-2008
- Olin Fellow, International Security Studies, Yale University, 2005-2006
- Senior Research Fellow in Humanities, Caltech, 2000-2004
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Caltech, 1999-2000
- Westwick, P., Neushul, P. (2013). The World in the Curl: An Unconventional History of Surfing. New York: Random House.
- Westwick, Peter J. (Ed.). (2012). Blue Sky Metropolis: The Aerospace Century in Southern California. Huntington Library Press and University of California Press.
- Westwick, P. J. (2006). Into the Black: JPL and the American Space Program, 1976-2004. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
- Westwick, P. J. (2003). The National Labs: Science in an American System, 1947-1974. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Westwick, Peter J.; Carson, Cathryn; Pollock, Ethan; Williams, James H. (Ed.). (2000). Physicists in the Postwar Political Arena: Comparative Perspectives. (Vol. 30, Berkeley, CA: Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences.
- Westwick, P. J. (2012). "Visual Images in Planetary Exploration," chapter in Exploring the Solar System: The History and Science of Planetary Exploration.
- Westwick, P. J., Neushul, P. (2012). "Aerospace and Surfing: Connecting Two California Keynotes," chapter in Where Minds and Matters Meet: Technology in California and the West. Where Mind and Matters Meet University of California Press.
- Westwick, P. J. (2012). "Aerospace and Hollywood: How Computer Animation Went from Space to Cineplex," chapter in Westwick, Blue Sky Metropolis.
- Westwick, P. J. (2012). Photo Essay: An Album of Early Southern California Aviation," in Westwick, Blue Sky Metropolis.
- Westwick, P. J. (2007). "JPL and Southern California," chapter in Societal Impact of Spaceflight. Washington, DC: NASA.
- Westwick, P. J. (2010). "The International History of the Strategic Defense Initiative: American Influence and Economic Competition in the Late Cold War," Centaurus (fall 2010). Centaurus. Vol. Fall 2010
- Westwick, P. J. (2010). "Taking Flight: The Launch of the Huntington’s Aerospace History Project," cover story in Huntington Frontiers. Huntington Frontiers. Vol. Spring, 2010
- Westwick, P. J. (2008). ‘Space-Strike Weapons’ and the Soviet Response to SDI. Diplomatic History. Vol. 32 (5)
- Westwick, P. J. (2008). The Strategic Offense Initiative? The Soviets and Star Wars. Physics Today. (June)
- Westwick, P. J. (2007). "Reengineering Engineers: Management Philosophies at JPL in the 1990s". Technology and Culture. Vol. 48 (1)
- Westwick, P. J. (2000). Secret Science: A Classified Community in the National Laboratories. Minerva. Vol. 35 (4)
- Westwick, P. J. (2000). In the Beginning: The Origin of Nuclear Secrecy. Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists. (Nov/Dec)
- Westwick, P. J. (1996). Abraded from Several Corners: Medical Physics and Biophysics at Berkeley. Historical Studies in the Physical and Biological Sciences. Vol. 27 (1)
- Westwick, P. J. Zocalo Public Square.
- Westwick, P., Hersch, M. Zocalo Public Square.
- Westwick, P. J., Deverell, W., Lewis, D. (2010). "The End of the Aerospace Century" LA Observed guest editorial, 7 Jan 2010. LA Observed.
- Ernest O. Lawrence, A detailed biographical website sponsored by the Center for History of Physics, American Institute of Physics (launched 2002 at http://www.aip.org/history/lawrence). , 2002-2003
- Exhibition, Co-curator of "Blue Sky Metropolis: The Aerospace Century in Southern California," a major exhibition at the Huntington Library, viewed by approximately 25,000 visitors. Media coverage by LA Times, LA Observed, LA Weekly, Los Angeles magazine, Pasadena Star-News, IEEE Spectrum, Air & Space magazine, Zocalo Public Square, KCRW, NPR, and KCET., 10/08/2011-01/09/2012
- Best Non-Fiction of 2012, Los Angeles Public Library, for Blue Sky Metropolis, 2012
- Gardner-Lasser Aerospace History Literature Award, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (book prize for Into the Black), 2007-2008
- Eugene M. Emme Astronautical Literature Award, American Astronautical Society (book prize for Into the Black), 2006-2007
- 2004 Book Prize, Forum for the History of Science in America (book prize for The National Labs), 2004-2005
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
—History of modern science and technology —History of Southern California aerospace —International relations and national security —The Cold War —History of surfing