Christopher FreemanAssociate Professor (Teaching) of English
Phone: (213) 740-3745
Office: THH 404G
Chris Freeman moved to Los Angeles from Minneapolis in May, 2005. He grew up in Rome, Georgia and has a PhD in English from Vanderbilt University.
- B.A. English, summa cum laude, Berry College, 6/1987
- M.A. English, Vanderbilt University, 5/1989
- Ph.D. English, Gender Studies, Vanderbilt University, 8/1993
- Associate Professor (Teaching), USC Dornsife College, 08/2012-
- Lecturer, University of Southern California, 01/2006-
- Oscar Wilde and His Circle (National Endowment for the Humanities), Joseph Bristow (UCLA), http://www.neh.gov/divisions/education/other-opportunities/oscar-wilde-and-his-circle, $3,900, 06/2012-07/2012
- ONE National Gay and Lesbian Archive, Board Member, http://www.onearchives.org
- ""Teaching A SINGLE MAN in Los Angeles", Modern Language Associate, Roundtable/Panel, Paper, Los Angeles, CA, MLA, Invited, 01/08/2011-
- "‘Feasting with Panthers,’ or Thrown to the Lions: On the Limits of Camp", Modern Studies Association, Roundtable/Panel, Paper, Las Vegas, Nevada, MSA, Invited, 10/2012
- ""We Have to Say We've Been Here": Paul Monette and the Making of an Activist", UCLA GLBTQ Conference, Talk/Oral Presentation, UCLA, Invited, Fall 2007
- ""On These Shoulders We Stand" documentary", Screening/Moderator, LA Gay and Lesbian Center, Los Angeles, CA, 12/19/2009-
- "Howard Fine Live Interview", Life Raft, Screen Actors Guild, Los Angeles, CA, 12/01/2009-
- "Keynote address: The "Truth" about Paul Monette", One Person's Truth: The Life and Work of Paul Monette, Monette-Horwitz Trust, UCLA, 10/14/2005-
- ""How Do We Learn What We Need to Know"", Faculty Showcase, USC admissions dept., USC Campus, LA, CA, 07/19/2011
- ""On These Shoulders We Stand"", moderator at film screening, LA Gay and Lesbian Center, Renberg Theater, Hollywood, CA, 06/30/2011
- "Brokeback Mountain Panel", LA Book Fair, LA TIMES event, USC Campus, LA, CA, 04/30/2011
- ""On These Shoulders We Stand"", moderator at film screening, USC Lambda/Quasa group, Taper Hall, USC campus, 04/20/2011
- ""Jack, I swear": Some Promises to Gay Culture from Brokeback Mountain", Invited Lecture, Retirement of Professor Joe Wittreich, CUNY Grad Center; Center for Gay and Lesbian Studies, New York, New York, CUNY Grad Center, 04/15/2010
- "Talk on Love, West Hollywood", Brown Bag Lunch, USC English, Ide Room, Spring 2009
- "Measure for Measure", moderator/discussion leader, USC theater production, USC campus, Spring 2007
- "Moderator: GLBT Visibility in Hollywood, "Gay but not Forgotten"", Writers' Guild of America, WGA gay and lesbian caucus, Hollywood, CA, Spring 2007
- "An Evening with Tab Hunter", Interview/moderator, Santa Monica Public Library, Santa Monica, CA, 06/25/2006
- Fine, H., Freeman, C. (2009). Fine on Acting: A Vision of the Craft. Los Angeles, CA: Havenhurst Books. havenhurst books
- Freeman, C., Berg, J. (2008). Love, West Hollywood: Reflections of Los Angeles. New York, NY: Alyson Books.
- Freeman, C., Carlyle, J. (2006). Under the Rainbow: An Intimate Memoir of Judy Garland, Rock Hudson, and the End of Old Hollywood. (Chris Freeman, Ed.). New York, NY: Carroll and Graf.
- Freeman, C., Berg, J. (2001). Conversations with Christopher Isherwood. (Vol. USA). University Press of Mississippi.
- Freeman, C., Berg, J. (2000). The Isherwood Century: Essays on the Life and Work of Christopher Isherwood. Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.
- Freeman, C., Berg, J. J. (2013). "Auden and Isherwood" ch 30 in AUDEN IN CONTEXT. W.H. Auden in Context pp. 316-325. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press. http://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/literature/english-literature-1900-1945/w-h-auden-context?format=HB
- Freeman, C. (2011). "Jack, I swear": Some Promises to Gay Culture from Mainstream Hollywood. The Brokeback Book pp. 103-117. Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press.
- Freeman, C. (2001). "Something They Did in the Dark": Lesbian and Gay Novels in the US, 1948-73. Philadelphia, PA: Modern American Queer History, Temple University Press.
- Freeman, C. (2013). Isherwood after Stonewall. Gay and Lesbian Review. pp. pp 24-25. www.GLReview.com
- Freeman, C. (2011). "Too Much Information" Review of Isherwood's 60s Diaries. Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide. pp. 31-2.
- Freeman, C. (2010). "A Not So Distant Mirror" review of GAY BAR by Will Fellows and Helen Branson. Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide. pp. p 40. PubMed Web Address http://www.glreview.com/index.php
- Freeman, C. (2010). E.M. Forster: Brief Lives by Richard Canning (review). Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide. pp. 42. http://www.glreview.com/issue.php?issueid=57
- Freeman, C. (2010). "The Making of a Magazine" review of ADVOCATE DAYS by Mark Thompson. Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide. pp. 41-2. PubMed Web Address http://www.glreview.com/issue.php?issueid=53
- Freeman, C. (2008). Review of WHAT BECOMES YOU. White Crane. pp. p. 45. PubMed Web Address http://www.whitecranejournal.com/main.asp
- Freeman, C. (2008). Review of THE END OF THE WORLD BOOK. GLR. pp. 44.
- Freeman, C. (2007). Review: Armistead Maupin's MICHAEL TOLLIVER LIVES. GLR Worldwide.
- Freeman, C. (2006). GRIEF, a novel by Andrew Holleran. The Advocate. pp. 57, 59.
- Freeman, C. (2006). Review: 3 Young Adult Novels. The Advocate. pp. 58.
- Freeman, C. (2009). Essay on Jim Grimsley for Encyclopedia of Contemporary LGBTQ Literature of the U.S. (Emmanuel Nelson, Ed.). 275-76. Vol. 1. Greenwood, CT: Greenwood Press. PubMed Web Address www.abc-clio.com (greenwood press)
- Freeman, C. (2005). Dictionary of Literary Biography. (James and Wanda Giles, Ed.). Vol. fiction, 20th century American. Gale.
- Freeman, C. (2011). "The Many Lives of Malcolm Boyd". (Richard Schneider, Ed.). pp. p 30. Boston, MA. Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide.
- Freeman, C. (2011). "Art Memo: Paul Monette's BORROWED TIME". (Richard Schneider, Ed.). pp. 36-7. Boston, MA. Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide.
- Freeman, C. (2011). The Professor on the Dance Floor: Alice Echols and HOT STUFF. pp. 1. Los Angeles, CA. The Advocate. www.advocate.com
- Freeman, C. (2010). Artist Profile: Jeff Sheng "A Lens on the Soldiers of DADT". (Richard Schneider, Ed.). pp. p 26. Boston, MA. Gay and Lesbian Review Worldwide. PubMed Web Address http://www.glreview.com/images/GLR-17.3-cover.jpg
- Freeman, C. (2013). Christopher Isherwood and the Limits of Camp. Modernism/Modernity. http://www.press.jhu.edu/journals/modernism_modernity/
- Freeman, C., Berg, J. (2010). Isherwood the Multiculturalist. The Chronicle of Higher Education/Chronicle Review. Vol. LVI (18), pp. B13-B15. http://chronicle.com/article/Isherwood-the-Multiculturalist/63446/
- Freeman, C. (2008). Lives in Art: Isherwood and Bachardy. GLR. Vol. Sept-Oct 2008 (15/5), pp. 30-33.
- Freeman, C. (2006). GLAAD history: From Rags to Kudos. Variety. pp. A2, A7.
- Freeman, C. (2005). "Making Fun Out of It": Rethinking Isherwood's WORLD IN THE EVENING. The Christopher Isherwood Review. (1, 2005), pp. 89-103.
- Freeman, C. Frontiers Magazine. Vol. 28, pp. 2 pp.. Frontiers
- Freeman, C. Frontiers Magazine. Vol. 28, pp. 2pp. frontiers
- Freeman, C. Frontiers. Vol. 27, pp. 18, 20.
- Freeman, C. Frontiers. Vol. 27, pp. 18, 20.
- Freeman, C. Frontiers. Vol. 27, pp. 18, 20.
- Freeman, C. pp. pg 124.
- Freeman, C. (2013). Tom Bianchi: Eyes on the Pines. Gay and Lesbian Review. www.glreview.com
- Freeman, C. (2012). "Vito: The Artist as Activist". Gay and Lesbian Review. www.GLReview.com
- Freeman, C. (2012). "Marilyn Monroe: a serious, mysterious life". Gay and Lesbian review. www.GLReview.com
- Interviewed for SIN CITIES:Berlin for CBC, I was interviewed for a documentary on Berlin between the wars; aired on CBC and A&E, released on DVD, 2006., 2005-2006
- interviewee and consultant for CHRIS & DON: A LOVE, This documentary on Isherwood and Bachardy premiered at the AFI Festival in Hollywood in November, 2007. I am in the film half a dozen times, and my first book, THE ISHERWOOD CENTURY, was a major source for the project., 2007-2008
- Interviewed for SAVING THE BOOM, Commentary on documentary about historic preservation and gay culture, 2008
- Interview, Interview of Pyramid TV (Canada) for a series, "Inside Hollywood" on Gay Hollywood for TV broadcast in North America., 2009-2010
- interview, Interview for History Channel Documentary series, How Sex Changed the World, on Weimar Germany. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV4TtQnWRM, 06/2012
- TV roundtable, KLCS, a public television channel of LAUSD, roundtable discussion of GAY LA: Then and Now. Broadcast Oct/Nov 2013. http://www.klcs.org/, 10/2013
- USC Parents' Association finalst, 2006-2007
- Twentieth Century Literature, Hostra University, Peer-reviewed two essays: one Edmund White's novel FAREWELL SYMPATHY and one on Baldwin's GIOVANNI'S ROOM and Vidal's CITY AND PILLAR. , Fall 2011
- ORAL HISTORY REVIEW, Oxford Journals for the Humanities, Peer reviewed an essay called "Animate Ephemera" on queer archives., 07/2011
- TWENTIETH CENTURY LITERATURE, Hofstra University, Peer-reviewed essay on Isherwood's final GOODBYE TO BERLIN, 12/2010
- Postscripts: The Journal of Sacred Texts and Contemporary Worlds, Equinox Journals, Peer review of essay called "The Guru and His Queer Disciples"--on Christopher Isherwood and Vedanta., Spring 2010
- Twentieth Century Literature, Hofstra University, Peer review of essay on Isherwood's novel THE WORLD IN THE EVENING, Fall 2008
- Twentieth Century Literature, Hofstra University, Peer review essay on Christopher Isherwood's BERLIN STORIES., Fall 2007
- Gay and Lesbian Caucus of the WGA, led panel discussion for a crowd of 200+, Spring 2007
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
My work has primarily been in 20th century gay and lesbian studies. I've edited three books on Christopher Isherwood one Hollywood memoir by John Carlyle; and more recently a collection of essays about gay Los Angeles called LOVE, WEST HOLLYWOOD. I am also working on a longer term project on the life, work, and times of the gay writer Paul Monette (and editing his journals for publication).
gay and lesbian studies; popular culture; memoir; Hollywood; Los Angeles; modernism
20th century literature; the novel; memoir; literary theory; gay and lesbian studies; Los Angeles/Hollywood
Detailed Statement of Research Interests
My work as a scholar in the past decade has centered on gay writing and culture in post World War II Los Angeles. I've also published some journalism, many book reviews, and have been a consultant and interviewee on several films and television programs, including the award-winning CHRIS AND DON: A LOVE STORY, which premiered in LA at the AFI Film Festival on November 10, 2007. I am also involved with a small independent publisher in Los Angeles, Havenhurst Books, where I am acquisitions editor, among other duties. This venture is in response to the changing climate in the publishing world, and, in co-founding the company, I relied on my experiences publishing books with academic and non-academic publishers.
Contracts and Grants Awarded
Affiliations with Research Centers, Labs, and Other Institutions
Conferences and Other Presentations
Multimedia Scholarship and Creative Works
Honors and Awards
Service to the Profession
Reviewer for Publication
Media, Alumni, and Community Relations
- USC Dornsife Department of English
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- Taper Hall of Humanities 404
- University Park
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0354
- Fax: (213) 741-0377
- Phone: (213) 740 - 2808
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org