Sergio Sanudo-WilhelmyProfessor of Biological Sciences and Earth Sciences
Phone: (213) 821-1302
Office: AHF 206
- Ph.D. Earth Sciences, University of California Santa Cruz, 1993
- M.S. Marine Sciences, University of California Santa Cruz, 1989
- B.S. Oceanography, Universidad Autonoma de Baja California-Ensenada, 1983
Academic Appointment, Affiliation, and Employment History
- Professor, University of Southern California, 08/01/2006-
- Associate Professor, Marine Sciences Research Center-Stony Brook University, 08/01/2000-08/01/2006
- Assistant Professor, Marine Sciences Research Center-Stony Brook University, 08/01/1993-08/01/2000
Description of Research
Summary Statement of Research Interests
The general focus of my research group is environmental biogeochemistry. We are trying to elucidate how bioactive substances influence specific biological processes (e.g., carbon and nitrogen fixation) as well as phytoplankton dynamics (species composition and abundance) in different aquatic systems. To accomplish those research objectives, we study the cycling (e.g., sources, transport, fate, bioavailability) of various trace metals, B-vitamins and mineral nutrients in ecosystems. Another objective of my research group is to establish the impact of anthropogenic processes on environmental quality. We try to apply our results to environmental policy analysis, including issues related to public health.
Trace metals, organic carbon and nitrogen cycling in aquatic systems Cycling of vitamins in aquatic systems Impact of phytoplankton blooms on metal geochemistry Impact of trace metals and nutrients on nitrogen fixation Impact of colloids on metals and organic carbon cycling in coastal environments Impact of groundwater seepage on coastal waters Isotope geochemistry (stable lead isotopes as tracers of anthropogenic sources)
Affiliations with Research Centers, Labs, and Other Institutions
- Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies, http://wrigley.usc.edu
- Sanudo-Wilhelmy, S. A. (2006). A phosphate alternative. Nature. Vol. 439, pp. 25-26.
- Sanudo-Wilhelmy, S. A., Gobler, C. J., Taylor, G. T., Okbamichael, M. (2006). Regulation of phytoplankton dynamics by vitamin B12. Geophysical Research Letters/American Geophysical Union. Vol. 33, pp. L04604, doi.
- Sanudo-Wilhelmy, S. A., Tovar-Sanchez, A., Fu, F., Capone, D. G., Carpenter, E. J., Hutchins, D. A. (2004). The Impact of Surface-Adsorbed Phosphorus on Phytoplankton Redfield Stoichiometry. Nature. Vol. 432, pp. 897-900.
- Sanudo-Wilhelmy, S. A., Kustka, A., Gobler, C. J., Hutchins, D. A., Capone, D. G., Raven, J. A., DiGiacomo, P. M. (2001). Phosphorus limitation of nitrogen fixation by Trichodesmium in the central Atlantic Ocean. Nature. Vol. 411, pp. 66-69.
- Roditi, H. A., Fisher, N. S., Sanudo-Wilhelmy, S. A. (2000). Uptake of dissolved organic carbon and trace elements by Zebra Mussels. Nature. Vol. 407, pp. 78-80.
- Zumberge Hall of Science (ZHS)
- Los Angeles, CA 90089-0740
- Phone: (213) 740-6106
- Email: email@example.com