Embassy Hotel & Auditorium
9th and Grand
Built in 1914, this fine old building has served as a hotel, a church, and a university residence. When it was the Trinity Auditorium building, three stories were used for church purposes and 325 rooms above as a hotel for men. It had a roof garden, social halls, ladies parlor, and a library. The 2300 seat auditorium was used by Trinity for church functions on Sundays and was available for rent at other times for "high grade concerts, lectures, conventions, etc." In the 1980s, the University of Southern California purchased the building and used it for several years as a residential college.
PHOTOS: J. Mapes; 1920s postcard