Ways of Giving
There are many ways to give to the USC Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies. Planned giving experts at USC can help you structure a gift as part of your estate planning. The school welcomes gifts of appreciated securities, stocks, and bonds, as well as those of real estate and personal property. Matching gifts may be available through your employer. And you may consider making a pledge to support the institute over a period of time. To learn more about these options, contact Robert Woolley at (213) 740-3073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Unrestricted gifts are among the most valuable to the Wrigley Institute, because they allow us to allocate funds wherever the need is greatest, and to take advantage of unique opportunities as they arise.
Directed gifts allow you to designate your gift to a specific program or priority area at the Wrigley Institute. This type of gift gives you the satisfaction of knowing you are supporting a program that is personally meaningful to you.
You also have the option of designating your gift for:
- Current use, to provide funds and flexibility over the short term, or
- Endowment gifts, which provide security over the long term by expanding the Wrigley Institute’s permanent financial base and creating a predictable source of future income for such things as endowed faculty positions, scholarships and fellowships, and broad-based interdisciplinary research projects.
Friends of the Wrigley Institute (FOWI) is a group of members particularly dedicated to helping shape the long-term vision of the institute by giving on an annual basis. For more information on FOWI, click here.
Types of Gifts
When you make an outright gift to the Wrigley Institute, your contribution can be put to work immediately – either providing funding for current programs or creating a reliable source of future income by expanding the school’s endowment. An outright gift may be composed of almost any asset of value, including the following:
- Cash Gifts – the simplest and easiest gifts you can make – may be made through credit/debit card transactions, outright cash, personal checks, cashier’s checks or money orders made payable to “USC Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies”. Checks can be mailed to The Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies, 3616 Trousdale Parkway, AHF 410, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089-0371. Online credit/debit gifts can be made using our Giving Form.
- Gifts of Appreciated Securities, Stocks, and Bonds also provide considerable tax advantages when transferred to the Wrigley Institute before they are sold. If you have held your securities for more than one year, you may find that your gift will provide a twofold tax benefit, creating an income-tax deduction as well as helping avoid the capital-gains tax that would have been due on their sale.
- Matching Gift programs are an easy way to double or even triple your gift. Many employers will match your gift to the School. Send your contribution as indicated above, along with a completed matching gift form (available from your company’s personnel or employee relations office). For online gifts, simply follow the matching gift instructions when you fill out the form.
- Gifts of Real Estate – including personal residences, second homes, income property and vacant land – offer a wide variety of tax and other benefits. While most people give their entire interest, it is also possible to give only a portion of the property (an undivided percentage interest) while retaining the rest for other purposes.
For many thoughtful alumni, parents and friends, planned giving is an attractive way of supporting the Wrigley Institute while fulfilling personal financial planning objectives. The institute’s planned giving experts can help you create guaranteed retirement income or reduce your estate or capital gains taxes while also making a meaningful gift to the Wrigley Institute.
Contrary to popular belief, you need not be wealthy to leave a legacy. Planned giving can be as simple as including a bequest provision in your will or naming the Wrigley Institute as a beneficiary of your life insurance policy or retirement plan. Regardless of its size, your gift will definitely make a difference in the lives of students and faculty at Wrigley.
Gift Pledges are formal statements of your intention to make a gift to the university. With a pledge, you may complete your gift by making regular payments over time, allowing you to give more generously than you originally may have considered. Plus, each payment on your pledge is eligible for an income-tax charitable deduction.
Thank you for your support of the USC Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies.
- USC Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies
- 3616 Trousdale Parkway, AHF 410
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0371
- Phone: (213) 740 - 6780
- Email: email@example.com