Where to apply? Choosing the schools to which you want to apply.
Reflect and ask yourself the questions below.
Geographically speaking, where would I prefer to spend the next 4 years?
Would I be more comfortable with a traditional or integrated approach? With pass/fail or tiered grading? With case studies, typical lectures or a blend of both?
Is it important for me to be near people who are my “support system” –family and friends?
Am I interested in a career in research? In clinical practice and/or academic medicine?
Which schools have a learning approach that emphasizes primary care, patient interaction, prevention, and preparation for community practice?
What schools have a teaching and grading approach that will work well for me?
If I have a strong ethnic or religious/gender identity, is there a community for me at the school and/or in the city where it is located?
Are the schools that I am considering public or private?
What is the “culture” of the health professional school?
What types of financial aid are available at the schools I am considering?
What population will I be serving?
In addition to individual schools' websites, information on US medical schools is available in the Medical School Admission Requirements (MSAR). For Osteopathic schools, information is available in the Osteopathic Medical College Book (CIB). For dental schools, information is availabe in the ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools book. Similarly, useful information and links are provided at other professional school assocations' websites, including:
- Pharmacy: American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy AACP
- Occupational Therapy: American Occupational Therapy Association AOTA
- Optometry: Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry ASCO
- Physical Therapy: American Physical Therapy Association APTA
- Physician Assistant: Physician Assistant Education Association PAEA
- Podiatric Medicine: Association of American Colleges of Podiatric Medicine AACPM
- Nursing: American Nurses Association ANA
- Naturopathic Medicine: Council of Naturopathic Medical Education CNME
- Public Health: American Public Health Association APHA
- Veterinary Medicine: Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges AAVMC