Department Major Requirements for the B.A. in Spanish
A major or minor in Spanish and Portuguese can complement interests in international relations, political science, business, education, sociology, linguistics, political science. . . .the possibilities are endless.
Lower Division (8 units)*
SPAN 260** Advanced Spanish: Arts and Sciences
SPAN 261** Advanced Spanish: Society and the Media
Upper Division (16 units)
Four of the following courses:
SPAN 301 Introduction to Hispanic Literature and Film
SPAN 310 Structure of Spanish
One other SPAN literature, culture, film course
One 400 level SPAN course
Electives (16 units):
Four other upper division SPAN courses.
* Majors and minors may request a waiver of one or both lower division courses (SPAN 260 and/or SPAN 261) if they meet one of the following prerequisites: a) a score of 5 on the Spanish language or literature advanced placement (AP) exam; b) a score of 6 or 7 on the Spanish International Baccalaureate Higher-Level exam (IBHL); c) a score of 800 in the Spanish SAT subject exam; or d) they can demonstrate advanced proficiency in spoken and written Spanish. Departmental approval is required in every case.
**SPAN 260 and SPAN 261 may be taken concurrently. The second of these courses may be taken concurrently with a 300-level course.
Please read about our Honors Program.
- Department of Spanish and Portuguese
- Taper Hall of Humanities 156
- 3501 Trousdale Parkway
- University of Southern California
- Los Angeles, California 90089-0358
- Phone: (213) 740 - 1258
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org